Phillip Howell's Reviews > Getting to Know the Church Fathers: An Evangelical Introduction

Getting to Know the Church Fathers by Bryan M. Litfin

Informative. Enjoyable. Challenging.

First of all this was an informative survey of 12 church fathers. I really feel like a have a better grasp of the first few centuries of the Christian church. The information is not simply biographical of these 12 people. The background information and side notes about what is going on are extremely helpful.

Second, it was enjoyable to read. The modern illustrations to begin each chapter were well done. The writing style was clear and easy to follow. I simply enjoyed learning more as I enjoyed reading his book.

Lastly, the application questions throughout and the list of questions at the end were challenging. They were thought provoking and convicting. It made me stop and think about my own life, my own church and it made me hungry to study further certain topics that were new to me.

I highly recommend for pastors, church leaders and church members. It seemed accessible and useful to a variety of audiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting to Know the Church Fathers.

June 1, 2018 – Started Reading