Kirstie's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, zombies, thriller, strong-female-characters

Political intrigue and zombies? I've been meaning to read this book since before it released. Why do I always get around to things so late ;p

The setting is a great one: a world surviving the zombocalypse. Thanks to all those horror movies, and bloggers people knew what was going on and what to do, so instead of mass extinction we just experienced a tragedy. So life goes on, presidents try to get elected and people live in fear but continue on.

The concept of how blogging would work in a post zombocalypse world is very interesting, and I got immediate chuckles out of the daredevils being 'Irwins'. I loved that the fictionals were also included with the Irwins and the Newsies.

The cast of characters are exciting and endearing and every politician you meet you look at askance, ready for betrayal. George is a wonderful character, and one can't help looking just a touch askance at her and her brother too, though for a different reason.

The plot has wonderful velocity, plenty of twists, excitement, and adventure.

One of my favourite things in zombie stories is the viral origin. Really, how did the virus start? Ever since I first read World War Z I've been fascinated with it and how many different ideas there are, and I've ALWAYS wondered why does the zombie virus never seem to affect animals?(or at least very rarely) Finally we have a book where animals can be zombified and carriers also. While the 'cure for cancer/cure for common cold backfiring idea has been done before, I don;t think anyone before has decided to go 'hey, how about the combination of the two is what caused it!'. Also unlike some of those others this one gets into the guts of virology, pointing out exactly what about such cures could be problematic and lead to this issue.

(view spoiler)

A zombie novel with a difference, and I'm moving straight onto the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

June 1, 2018 – Started Reading