Amanda Hopeless.Book.Romantic's Reviews > The Duke of Hearts

The Duke of Hearts by Jess Michaels

bookshelves: historical-romance, regency, romance

“Luckily, there was always a supply of authors, scribbling wildly by candlelight to give him something new to enjoy. If only his favorites would write faster.”
(Same Matthew, Same!)

The Duke of Hearts is book seven in the 1797 Club series by Jess Michaels. Matthew Cornwallis, the Duke of Tyndale has been in mourning too long. It’s been years since his fiancé’s tragic accident and he’s sick of the sad, pitying eyes and fake smiles. His friend talks him into going to the wicked Donville Masquerade. At the same time, the widowed Isabel Hayes decides to attend the masquerade in hopes of having more knowledge before she’s forced to marry again. Matthew and Isabel are instantly attracted to each other and agree to a night of passion without divulging their identities. One night turns into two and they keep searching for each other in crowds. Matthew’s identity is revealed and Isabel is horrified. Her cousin was his fiancé and her family has a deep animosity towards him and blames him for her death. But their attachment keeps pulling them towards each other, if only their love can survive ghosts from the past. I always like to see second chances and both Isabel and Matthew deserved one after their pasts. My favorite part of this book was the Donville Masquerade, I like to see what I like to call “impolite society”.

Bookstagram: @hopeless.book.romantic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke of Hearts.

June 1, 2018 – Started Reading