Lori's Reviews > The Royals

The Royals by Kitty Kelley

Nov 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: british-royal-family, non-fiction, history, biography
Recommended for: Not Necessarily

I wasn't completely thrilled with this book. It was OK but just as many other reviews commented this was an expose, scandalous at times. The House of Windsor has been around for a long time, (uh, duh) much like any family they have some skeletons in their closets. Just because they are the reigning family of England they are thrown under the microscope, as many celebrities are, so their every move is magnified. I saw an articl on Yahoo! yesterday that said Princess Catherine must curtsey to blood princesses when not in the presence of Prince William...really, is that what we must look forward to in the news about the royal family? The fact that they've created a decree to separate the royals from the commoners in their own family? It's exhausting.

This book did shed some light on the Royal family and all they've been through, however, since the Royal family is locked up so tightly I wonder what exactly is true and what is exploited unnecessarily. I hope that the royal family can rise above everything and live a happy future. It's up the the blood princes and princesses (and their possibly commoner spouses) to change the image and future of the family.

I was very excited about the Royal family due to the wedding last year and the Queen's Golden Jubilee, but I have certainly exhausted myself reading this book, articles online, and seeing the tabloids (Shocking News: Princess Catherine must curtsey to Blood Princesses, but the real question is: Is she pregnant?) I will need to take a break from reading about the Royal family for awhile. I would like to read more about Princess Diana and the work she did during her short life but I'm not sure I can pick up Fergie's or Prince Charles's books which sound like "he said, she said".

I don't think I'd necessarily recommend this book to anyone else, and I definitely won't read it again, once was enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Royals.

November 28, 2011 – Shelved