Emer (A Little Haze)'s Reviews > The Light Between Us

The Light Between Us by Katie Khan

bookshelves: netgalley, 4stars, reviewed, adult-fiction, read2018, light-fiction

Published today!

Katie Khan is back with her sophomore book, The Light Between Us and it's as greedy a book reading pleasure as her first release Hold Back the Stars which I had the immense pleasure of reading last year. Click here for that review.

And what I mean by greedy is that this is a book you will simply want to gobble up as quickly as you can!!! Her writing is so wonderfully captivating but most importantly of all... She tells amazingly compelling stories!!!

This book focuses on the relationship between two people, Thea and Isaac but uses the backdrop of cutting edge physics experiments and grandiose theories about time travel to explore the ever changing dynamic of the friendship between these two people.

It's tricky to discuss the plot of this book without giving away spoilers but the basic set up is as follows. Thea is working towards her physics doctorate but has been told by her university professors that her preferred area of study, the possibility of time travel, is not a suitable area of research and has been directed in other areas. However, Thea is single minded and will not accept their direction and so she pursues her studies on the down-low. One night she performs an illicit experiment in the university's lab that brings about massive changes in her life and leads to unexpected events with Isaac coming back into her life to try and help her right a grave wrong.

This book has just the right amount of believable physics theory to get you completely invested in the time travel storyline and believing in Thea's experimental research, and also to not let you feel like you have no clue what's going on!! It's an amazingly fine balance and one I believe Khan pulls off expertly. This is a book that can be fully appreciated by people with zero physics knowledge and those with lots! And that is because first and foremost, Khan is a great storyteller and writes utterly believable human characters.

The plot is one that unfurls beautifully and as the reader I constantly wanted to know more and more about Thea and Isaac's backstory and as it was slowly revealed to us everything fell into place perfectly. This was a story that I was unable to predict where it would lead until the very last few pages and that is an absolute joy. The relationship between Thea and Isaac is what makes this book sing and I never knew how things were going to end up for these two. Khan used incredibly interesting plot devices to show us different aspects of their personalities and this made them feel so very real to me as a reader and therefore I truly cared about what type of ending they would get as a pairing. Theirs was a beautiful mix of love and friendship and all the complicated shades in between.

This book is light and easy to read but with a gripping storyline, memorable characters and believable world building with regards to time travel theory in our contemporary times.

Highly recommended as a great de-stressing read from a busy lifestyle!

*An e-copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher, Random House UK, Transworld Publishers / Doubleday, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Us.

May 31, 2018 – Started Reading