Jes Reads's Reviews > A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe

A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White

bookshelves: my-favorite-books-ever

Thank you to Orbit books for sending me this book free of charge for my honest review

"Furious and fun, the first book in this bold, new science fiction adventure series follows a ragtag group of adventurers as they try to find a legendary ship that just might be the key to clearing their name and saving the universe.

Boots Elsworth was a famous treasure hunter in another life, but now she's washed up. She makes her meager living faking salvage legends and selling them to the highest bidder, but this time she got something real--the story of the Harrow, a famous warship, capable of untold destruction.
Nilah Brio is the top driver in the Pan Galactic Racing Federation and the darling of the racing world--until she witnesses Mother murder a fellow racer. Framed for the murder and on the hunt to clear her name, Nilah has only one lead: the killer also hunts Boots.
On the wrong side of the law, the two women board a smuggler's ship that will take them on a quest for fame, for riches, and for justice."

I am so thankful that I was sent this book for review because I have to admit it didn't seem like something I was sure I would love. But god was I wrong. This is a science fiction space opera and I could spend a year telling you all the reasons why I think that you should read this. Firstly I'll talk about all the things I genuinely loved about this book.

The magic system

So most people in this world are able to use Glyphs which are symbols they draw in the air in front of them that allows them to use certain types of magic. Our main character Nilah is a machinist. So she is able to use her ability to control or hack most machines. But aside from all the powers I really enjoyed that Boots is actually one of the few people in this society that does not actually have powers. I love that our two main characters are so different.

The characters

Probably my most favorite part of this entire book is definitely the characters and the relationships they develop. I thoroughly enjoyed how far all of the characters come from the beginning to the end of this book. Firstly Nilah grows from a spoiled rotten brat to this wonderfully badass chick by the end that while I found her slightly annoying in the beginning to one of my very favorite characters. Boots is pretty sassy and amazing from the beginning but her struggle and experiences are so interesting to follow.

The World

Like I mentioned this is a space opera so obviously it takes place in...you guessed it....space! But we do spend quite a bit of time on other planets. I love that Alex is able to change the setting and make each new place so different from the last. Even being aboard the space ships was interesting. I never thought I would want to live aboard a ship hurtling through space but here we are!

The villains

I have NEVER been so terrified of a villain in my life. Not only is there a central villain, our perfectly named Mother, but there's also a secret society that spans so much of the worlds history and heartbreaks. I loved that the villains are every changing as well.

When it comes to things I didn't like honestly, 100%, I could not think of one thing. I can't wait to read the second one ASAP. If you're interested in this book it releases June 26th!