Chrissy's Reviews > Letters In Cardboard Boxes

Letters In Cardboard Boxes by Abby Slovin

Nov 28, 2011

Slovin's debut novel is a no-holds barred journey into the experience of a family facing the devastating disease of the mind, dementia. Parker, the only child of absentee parents and raised by a loving yet eccentric grandmother, is forced to grow up in a hurry when her grandmother enters the various stages of dementia. Unprepared, unwilling and unforgiving of herself and those around her, Parker confronts her grief by engaging in relationships with others; an elderly neighbor, a teen girl and a detached boyfriend. This story is Parker's journey to adulthood and acceptance of life, offered by glimpses of her childhood through letters between her grandmother and herself, and through her interactions with others as she struggles to reach back to a time just before all was lost.
This novel reaches in, grabs your heart, and twists it as you travel with Parker through her grief and eventual acceptance.
One of those rare books that does't let go when you've read the last page, "Letters In Cardboard Boxes" is a fascinating read from a creative and genuine writer.
Thank you Abby Slovin for your contribution to readers to understand the human side to this horrific disease and those affected by it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters In Cardboard Boxes.

message 1: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby looking forward to your feedback :)

Chrissy Abby wrote: "looking forward to your feedback :)"
Abby I am half through this amazing little book and you have made me so emotional!! I actually was flung back ten years (wow...12 years) when I contemplated my Nanny's mortality. I will write a proper review when I finish but I am so involved with the characters and my heart is breaking over the deterioration of Grandma, and the denial oh her granddaughter. SO reminiscent of my own experiences....more to come.:o)

message 3: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby This is so wonderful to hear, Chrissy, thank you. I'm so pleased that you're enjoying the story and that its reaching you on a personal level. Looking forward to your review :) Let me know if you have any questions too...one of the benefits of being an independent author is the ability to stay close to readers.

Chrissy wrote: "Abby wrote: "looking forward to your feedback :)"