All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Chasing Magic

Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

There is something so seductively addictive about the Downside Ghosts series. Stacia Kane writes urban fantasy that bites back, weaves dark magic around your soul, and draws you so deeply into her world that it’s impossible to get out–not that you’d ever want to.

CHASING MAGIC is an emotionally draining and yet somehow exhilarating book. Chess is this fragile butterfly trapped in a drug addicted, self loathing body. She’s so real I almost can’t stand to read about her at times. I can feel her contempt for herself, her paralyzing fear that she is nothing but a stain on the lives of those she cares about, her fluttering hope that dies every time she recognizes it. She’s one of the most tragic characters I’ve ever read and she’s also one of my absolute favorites because despite all her crippling emotional issues, she is a fighter. Time and again, no matter the cost, she does what needs to be done without hesitation.

I’m genuinely afraid for Chess’s future. Her drug dependency has grown over the past five books and even though Terrible loves her with a ferocity that borders on scary (in a good way), I don’t know if it will be enough. I don’t know if there even is a way to save Chess from herself…I hope desperately that there is. The whole outlook for Downside is in jeopardy. Lex is determined to wrest control away from Bump, which would literally be over Terrible’s dead body. Dark and deadly magic continues to stalk the streets and Chess looks to be on her last life by my count.

Anything, and I mean anything could happen next. That’s part of the chilling beauty of this series. I can’t recommend these books highly enough. If you love urban fantasy with an edge, Stacia Kane delivers every time. The sixth book in the Downside Ghosts series will be out early in 2013. It’s already one of my most coveted reads for next year.

Sexual Content:
Scenes of sensuality. Sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Magic.

November 28, 2011 – Shelved