Cyndi Becker's Reviews > One Week:

One Week by Roya Carmen

I’ll admit I was hesitant going into this read. I’ve not let myself Roya Carmen Ground Rules series for fear I’d throw my kindle against the wall. But after reading One Week, I may think I've steeled myself for it. I'm not a stranger to HIGH ANGST, but there was something making me anxious – good and bad anxiety that is. I've read another book by RC and I liked the story I simply never warmed up to the heroine Loving Amber. With One Week, I had a mixed reaction.

The situation is bad for sure, the blurb hinting at a “big event” that will change the course of a marriage. I love that the story shows us that everyone has flaws, and that self-preservation motivates us through some of the larger life issues. You know, the top ones that cause the most stress, marriage, children, divorce, etc….good or bad. Gabbie’s and John’s marriage is facing one of these moments – the make or break kind, and when Gabbie proposes a way to propel them towards reconciliation, the writing is on the wall.

I had a few problems with Gabbie and her reasoning skills. Gabbie is hurt, angry and bitter. I get that but I wasn’t her biggest fan in the first read through. I didn’t want to not like her so I tried again. I understand the circumstances, but she didn’t endear herself to me with her treatment of Eli. She inserts herself into his life expecting he’s good to be part of her plan to save her marriage. She wants one week to be with him and all the while she's thinking "this will save my marriage" - “I'll go back to my husband and all with be even”. But “even” does not make for well, for a good marriage. And while Eli "accepts the terms" she never really considers his feelings and she doesn’t seem to consider either one of them would ever feel more for each other. Huh? Even with the history they have, the connection through Instagram, the flirting, etc? She just doesn’t handle things well, returning home and resuming life with John and her kids and dreaming of another entirely different life.

My problem with Gabbie’s treatment of Eli aside, this is a sexy story. Their chemistry is pretty off the charts and they have much more in common with each other than Gabbie and John. One Week solidifies Roya Carmens’ ability to write a forbidden love story and appreciate that she doesn’t shy away from all the icky feelings that go with it. The conflict of wanting to see a character happy but not necessarily onboard with all that they do. Hmmm, just like real life.

*I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Week.

May 30, 2018 – Shelved
May 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 7, 2018 – Started Reading
June 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Awesome review, Cyndi! x

Cyndi Becker thank you Christy!!