Sarah's Reviews > Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body

Hunger by Roxane Gay

bookshelves: 2018

Writing a review of this book is difficult because the subject matter is difficult. If I say that so much of Roxane Gay's experience resonates with my own, that gives away a lot of my past that I don't talk about. But maybe there's power in sharing our stories. There was certainly power in this book for me, in which I saw so much of myself, and how I have made for myself a body that is big and strong and powerful (and conventionally unattractive) to protect myself from the hurts inflicted on me in the past. If you're not someone who has suffered trauma and responded to it in this way, maybe this book is less meaningful, but it will, at the very least, give you a better understanding of what it is like to be fat, how people "end up this way," why someone would "let themselves go" until they're almost 600 pounds, and how fat people are treated--with concern, with disdain, with disappointment, with hostility--in our culture. Read this to become more empathetic. Read it to become a better person. Or if, like me, you struggle with your weight in the wake of trauma, read it to find some measure of understanding, compassion, and maybe even just a little bit of healing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunger.

May 30, 2018 – Shelved