Michelle's Reviews > Listen to the Marriage

Listen to the Marriage by John Jay Osborn Jr.

bookshelves: net-galley, 2018

What can a marriage withstand? When do you throw in the towel? How do you fix what is broken? How do you get to the place where it is safe to start over?
I hesitated to read this book after seeing reviews that said it was "slow moving". I however did not find this to be the case. In my opinion Listen to the Marriage was a character study. One that was admittedly at times uncomfortable. It had me squirming in my seat while Sandy the counselor proceeded to lead the conversation in directions that had this reader questioning her motives. You would have thought I was in her office chair my problems laid bare before her. Yet I have to say that the story arc intrigued me. I felt like I was able to identify with both of the main characters despite finding Gretchen a little whiny. This is a testament to Osborn's writing. I really appreciate how he treated the marriage as if it were a character unto itself and had us consider not what is best for this spouse or that spouse but for the union. Overall, Listen to the Marriage is a very strong book that I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates three dimensional characters and honest depictions of our individual failures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listen to the Marriage.

May 30, 2018 – Shelved