Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > Syndabocken

Syndabocken by Sofie Sarenbrant

bookshelves: read-2018

I have just read a book earlier in the series about Emma Sköld, and it is The Beggar, book before this one. I loved reading that that book so I was interested in reading the Scapegoat. It took some time for me to remember the characters since it was a while since I read The Beggar. But I soon placed them all and their past stories and the story itself was easy to get caught up with.

The burglary wave that takes place in Bromma was interesting to follow. Especially the online hate in connection with the crimes. Bromma has its own forum on the internet where the citizens of Bromma can write anything they want and much of it is hatred towards immigrants. Emma's sister, who usually lives in Bromma but now lives in Malta while Emma has her house is watching with increasing concern about what is happening through the forum and conversation with Emma. Emma herself has personal problems when her colleague who is also her boyfriend wants them to marry. However, she is uncertain and it affects both her private life and work.

The Scapegoat is a book that highlights racism and bigotry. When crimes occur, is the view that it is immigrants behind it and the hate is especially big online. This I felt truly reflects the world today. The book is a pageturner and I really loved the ending of the book and look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Thanks to Bookmarks förlag for the review copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Syndabocken.

May 30, 2018 – Started Reading