Melanie's Reviews > The Priory of the Orange Tree

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

bookshelves: dragons, fantasy, adult, lgbtqiap, to-read, sapphic
Recommended to Melanie by: Imi (Imi Reviews Books)

I'm NOT DNFing... I'm just putting this down for now, because I just can't immerse myself in this story for some reason! But I promise to try again before the year is over! <3

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Priory of the Orange Tree.

May 30, 2018 – Shelved
May 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 30, 2018 – Shelved as: dragons
May 30, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 28, 2019 – Shelved as: adult
February 28, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap
March 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 14, 2020 – Shelved as: sapphic

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Braxton I am sooooo jealous <3 Hope you like it :)

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria I hope it lives up to your expectations!

message 3: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal We totally could have buddy read this, I would not have minded at all lol

message 4: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews) I just started this book last night. Only 35 pages in but dying to get home from work so I can dive back into this book tonight. It definitely a epic fantasy so it is one of those I have to really be able to focus my thoughts on or I will get completely lost.

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling It seems like everyone and their mother is LOVING this book. Much hype!
I cannot wait to hear your thoughts

message 6: by Krystyna (new) - added it

Krystyna I love this cover and the synopsis sounds so good! I am dying to start this one and I need to super soon. I love your photo, btw.

Deadohiosky77 I just finished it and can honestly say I was bored beyond belief while reading it. With all the rave reviews and five star ratings I feel like I’m missing something. 😳🤷🏻‍♂️

message 8: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen I have been trying to get through this book for a month and thought it was just me....bored to tears. I think I will try again at another time also!

Celeste Coelho This is sometimes the hardest thing to recognize that it just may not be the proper moment and that you could perhaps love it another time where as forcing yourself through it could damage the experience

Sahib Singh I just didn't understand anything at first. It was like walking between aliens for first 100 pages. Somehow I got through it and now I don't regret it. At all. Will have to read it again at some point though

message 12: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews) Sahib wrote: "I just didn't understand anything at first. It was like walking between aliens for first 100 pages. Somehow I got through it and now I don't regret it. At all. Will have to read it again at some po..."

I agree.. It was so hard to following between the different characters and different kingdoms but wow.. Once you finally get the story and the worlds separated, it is well worth the read. Granted I still have a LONG ways to go lol. I am only on page 175 so I am moving pretty slow.

Sahib Singh I was moving very slow.. now I am at chapter 46 and do I love it. I can't describe the excitation, the anticipation. Things are becoming clear and now I know this book will be among my favorite.

Erin  Walker I felt the same!

Reggie It took me being in the right mindset before I could really pick it up, even tho I tried many times before I actually ended up reading it. There’s so much to explore and take in, which is amazing, but also kinda hard to consume. I think setting it down is the best bet, you’ll get to it when you’re ready & will hopefully love it then.

Simone I'm reading it right now. It started at turtle speed with all the character and world building and I kept wondering (1) when will it all come together and (2) when will the story pick up. Well. I got my answer ... it took "only" 24 chapters for me to get into this book. I'm a quick DNFer if a book doesn't draw me in within 100 pages or so, this one definitely took way longer and it took me listening to it on audio while reading it and having others to buddy read it with me. I'm 30 chapters in and love it.

Ellie at BookBucket I had to keep pushing on past the first 100 pages because I just wasn't 'feeling' it, but then the story took hold and I'm really enjoying it.

message 18: by Larissa (new) - added it

Larissa Is Reading Have you picked this back up?

message 19: by Hazem (new) - added it

Hazem I was super hyped to read this. 60 pages in and its making drowsy. It's very slow with useless about of new characters and places introduced every page...there is no organization. A mess. Wouldnt recommend it.

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Marshall I DNF at 76% and months of forcing myself too. I kept putting it aside and not. I’m giving it away to someone who will enjoy it.

message 21: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Kind of relieved to see I'm not the only one who put this down for a bit. I just... haven't felt any urge to pick it back up?