jessica's Reviews > The Girl With All the Gifts

The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

liked it

i love science fiction books. and i love dystopian plots. so why cant i seem to get behind zombie stories? :(

my mediocre rating for this has nothing to do with it being a bad book, because it really isnt. its because, for some reason, my eyes inexplicably glaze over every time i read about zombies. they just arent for me. aliens? sure. vampires? why not. but zombies? ughhh.

although the content isnt my cup of tea, there is a lot to enjoy about this. the writing is so strong, with such a precise foundation, it allows the world building to be so detailed and thorough. there is also a really natural flow about it that, even though the story is quite fast paced, it doesnt feel rushed. i can also appreciate the creativity to make the main character of a zombie story about 10 year old girl, who happens to be the zombie. its puts a unique twist on the survival theme.

and while all these components are great, and i can understand why i have seen so many positive reviews for this, they couldnt completely overrule my lack of enjoyment for zombies. so this is a very unfortunate case of being a ‘its me, not you’ kind of book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl With All the Gifts.

May 30, 2018 – Shelved
May 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
March 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Hannah I actually love Zombie books but this one was just in general meh book for me, have read way better zombie ones :)

jessica oh, yay. im happy to hear you have other favourites! :)

message 3: by Vanessa (last edited Mar 30, 2019 08:20AM) (new)

Vanessa I completely get you: I hate zombies, not because they scare me but because I do not find them appealing at all. I really cannot understand why people like them :\ Anyway, great review! At least you got through it!

message 4: by Erin (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:13AM) (new) - added it

Erin Bee Same. I rarely read or watch anything to do with zombies because I just don't care :/

☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾ I agree! and also rated this one three stars

message 6: by Sakshi (new) - added it

Sakshi Kathuria I find zombies the unappetising cilantro on my platter. There is no other analogy I could have used here as I really hate Cilantro. This books is simply not for the likes of us, Jessica :)

jessica vanessa, erin, sakshi - we need to start an anti-zombie club!! 😂

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa jessica wrote: "vanessa, erin, sakshi - we need to start an anti-zombie club!! 😂"

let's do it! 💪🏻

message 9: by the owl (new)

the owl I literally couldn't get past a few chapters 😶. Dystopia is not my type unfortunately. I think I binge-read a ton of dystopia and now I'm sort of sick of it 🤦‍♀️

jessica oh, yeah. thats understandable. so sorry this didnt work out for you!

Lola I get it!! I was bored watching The Walking Dead (though it's so popular I might try it again in the future). I guess I just really loved the characters in this book :P

jessica haha. yeahhh. i didnt even bother going near the walking dead. lol. but im really happy you enjoyed this!! :)

message 13: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris I really enjoyed this, but I did do Audio. The movie was great!!!

jessica omg i had no idea this was a movie!!