TJ's Reviews > The Lingering Dead

The Lingering Dead by J.N. Duncan

Nov 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: adc-reviews, contemporary, romantic-suspense, paranormal, urban-fantasy

2.5/5.0

I strongly suggest that the previous Jackie Rutledge books be studied extensively before attempting even a perusal of this installment.

For a complete review, visit Affaire de Coeur magazine, hard copy or online, April 2012 issue.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lingering Dead.

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant I'm betting AdC didn't give you the first 2 to read before staring this one!

Good for you to at least have finished. :)

message 2: by TJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

TJ Nope, and that is part of the deal. A book has to be readable (and understandable in this case) even if the person is picking it up for the first time.

It wasn't the actual finishing that was the problem - the last third of the book was good (you just gave up on understanding and enjoyed the suspense.) It was every stinking thing that led up to the finale - drove me nuts!

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant A book has to be readable (and understandable in this case) even if the person is picking it up for the first time.

There's nothing worse spending most of your time reading a book trying to figure out what the *#&! is going on.

message 4: by TJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

TJ I don't think I have ever read one worse at that than this book, either.

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Good thing you didn't buy it, then! :) That seems to be the only downside of reviewing for others - you gotta read stuff you'd otherwise steer clear of.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Duncan Yes, Lingering Dead is not a stand alone book. It's a continuation of the series. While the case worked in the story is unique to this book, there are a lot of things only hinted at that you do not get in this story, especially when it comes to the character development arc. Events from the first two books have had an effect on where the characters are when this book begins, so I would also recommend starting at book one. Some series don't really need to be read in order, but some do, and mine, for better or worse is one of the latter. For those of you who decide to pick up the series, I hope you enjoy the story.

message 7: by TJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

TJ I totally agree, Jim. That always seems to be the challenge when writing a series. How does one keep the continuity going without alienating first time readers (like myself) or boring those who've already read previous installments by spending time on back-stories. The most successful do it by snippets here and there that inform but don't overload. In this book, I was never even told who or what the character's were in relationship to each other, let alone the multitude of reasons and history for their actions. That will be a huge problem to those who see the book, read the synopsis and decide to give it a try.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Duncan Can't argue with you on that, TJ. I had similar issues with book two. Filling in without stepping out of the story is tricky, to say the least. If I've erred on the side of story flow at the expense of backstory elements, I may indeed lose some readers. My hope of course is that readers will pause and think, "Wait, I like this but I want the whole story" and pick up the first two books to go with. I do however, appreciate the thoughtful critique. Always something to learn from thoughtful readers. Thanks. :)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) Since I'm the type of reader that has to start at the beginning I enjoyed this book. But I do see where a reader picking this one up before the others would have a hard time with it.