Nishit Jain's Reviews > The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin

M 50x66

This book has served as the inspiration for one of my mentors, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle a few weeks back. Finding myself on a long train journey a few days ago, I decided to give it a shot. It was an engaging read, which moves along fairly swiftly and took me around four days to complete.

Knowing very little about both Benjamin Franklin or New England in the 1700s, I learnt about both. The author rises from humble origins to become a distinguished polymath, successful in private business and public affairs. The book provides glimpses into his approach to self-development, his moral compass and his methods of influencing people. It touches upon several defining contributions he made to the city of Philadelphia - having visited the city a few weeks back, I found this particularly interesting!

The book was written disjointedly and does not cover the latter 33 years of the author's life. A reader who wishes to acquaint himself wholly with Benjamin Franklin's actions, beliefs and efforts is well-served by supplementing this book with other historical narratives. For example, he does not mention even once his relationship with the institution of slavery, which he supported during the early years of his life, and becoming a Abolitionist in later years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

Started Reading
May 30, 2018 – Shelved
May 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Beautiful review, Nishit!