Melanie's Reviews > The Kiss Quotient

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

bookshelves: contemporary, romance, adult, own-voices, read-in-2018, book-subscription-boxes, arc, erotic-scenes
Recommended to Melanie by: Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)

This was my pick for the June 2018 Book of the Month box!

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“I like you better than calculus, and math is the only thing that unites the universe.”

Friends, The Kiss Quotient is so deserving of every ounce of hype it has received thus far. I am not sure I’ve ever been so happy, and had such a lame grin on my face, while reading any other book. This was heartwarming, beautiful, and a treat to read. Don’t sleep on this one. Also, Michael and Stella are both partner goals, I swear.

This is an ownvoices novel about a high-functioning autistic woman who has succeeded in every aspect of her life, except for love. Her mother is putting pressure on her to find someone and start thinking about family, now that she turned thirty. Plus, Stella is kind of lonely anyway, and as much as she loves throwing herself into her work, she wants to spend her life with someone who she can completely be herself with. The problem is, Stella thinks her autism makes her unable to successfully date, and maybe even unable to be good at/enjoy sex. So, she hires the dreamiest escort to help her!

“Girls like me intimidate boyfriends away. Girls like me have never been asked out by a single boy. Girls like me have to find their own way, make their own luck. I’ve had to fight for every success in my life, and I’m going to fight for this. I’m going to get good at sex, and then I’ll finally be able to entice the right person into being mine.”

The thing is, Michael is an escort that doesn’t do more than one session per client. Yet, after his and Stella’s first night, he might be willing to make an exception. Michael is biracial (Vietnamese and Swedish), fashion designer, and has always put his family first, especially after the way his father left them all. Michael’s mother is also battling cancer, and the medical bills are piling up.

Trigger and content warnings for unwanted touching and forced kissing, lowkey sexual harassment, anxiety attacks, abandonment, a loved one with a chronic illness, a fatphobic comment/insult, and someone telling someone else about a person’s diagnosis.

Also, this book has very explicit and graphic sex scenes. But, like, all of the sex scenes in this book are 11/10. So damn hot, I swear. I have a lot more experience with sex than Stella, but I would happily let Michael teach me a thing or two. *clutches pearls forever* But please use caution if that is something you do not enjoy in your books!

But besides the steamy sex, the beautiful romance, and the lovely messages that are inside this book, my favorite part is that this book never shames Michael for being an escort, and it sure in the hell doesn’t shame Stella for being on the autism spectrum. A lot of other conflicts happen throughout, but those two things are never put in a negative light and it was such a blessing.

And I never expect a fiction book to teach me anything, but this book gave me such a wonderful glimpse and perspective into some people’s autism. (Obviously, I know that no two people are the same!) From overstimulation with lights, sounds, and smells, to the preferred clothing, to focusing everything into one thing, to the importance of schedules, lists, and reminders! This book was really insightful, and I loved that about it.

The importance of consent is always at the forefront of this novel. I think that’s why most people who are reading this right now are so in love with Michael, and it’s because he always is thoughtful and so very patient with Stella. He truly puts her needs first, and makes sure he is never overstepping any line that she is not willing to cross.

And I just loved Stella Lane as a character. She is actually probably my favorite heroine of 2018. Not only does she know who she is, she refuses to change for anyone, even the guy she has fallen in love with. I had happy tears in my eyes so much while reading this, and it was mostly just because I was so proud of her. Michael might be most people’s wet dream, but Stella felt like the character I’ve been searching literature for forever.

“But I want you to know I can handle the truth. If I’m not enough for you, that’s fair and I accept it. I’ll get over you eventually. I don’t want to be coddled or lied to because of what I am. I don’t need your pity friendship”

Overall, this was such a perfect read! I loved this from first to last page, and I couldn’t put it down. Here, I’ll really sell you on how good this book is: Muse of Nightmares, my most anticipated release of 2018, came in the mail while I was reading this book. And you know what I did? I finished The Kiss Quotient before starting it. Seriously, this is a masterpiece. And I can’t wait to see what Helen Hoang does next.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kiss Quotient.

May 29, 2018 – Shelved
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
July 2, 2018 – Started Reading
July 2, 2018 –
page 168
50.0% "This is the most heartwarming thing ever, seriously. Totally worth the hype! 💕"
July 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: erotic-scenes

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Eeep can't wait to read this!!!! I'm in need of cutesy reads. ♥♥

Melanie Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always wrote: "Eeep can't wait to read this!!!! I'm in need of cutesy reads. ♥♥"

I really think you're going to LOVE this one, Aimee! Fingers crossed! And happy reading, beautiful! 💗xx

AMY♥Queen Of The Fat Cats♥ AMYzing review, Melanie!💕💕💋

MyLittleLibrary I cannot wait to get my hands on this book now. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!!

Melanie AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "AMYzing review, Melanie!💕💕💋"

Awh, thank you, love! I hope whatever you're reading is five star worthy! 💛✨

Melanie Lauren’sLittleLibrary wrote: "I cannot wait to get my hands on this book now. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!!"

Awh, I hope you love it, Lauren! Fingers crossed! And I'm wishing you happy reading, always! 💛✨

Melanie Maddie wrote: "Glad you also enjoyed Melanie Fabulous review xo"

Awh, thank you so much, Maddie! I loved your review, too! Such a good book! Ahhhh! All the feels! Happy reading, love! 💕xx

Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ Lovely review! I really loved this one. It reminded me that there are actually a few good New Adult novels out there and not all of them suck lol.

Azrah Great review, this book was so good!

message 10: by ✩ Ashley ✩ (new)

✩ Ashley ✩ This book sounds so cute! Great review, Melanie :) ...ps pls tell me that’s Lake Las Vegas?! So gorgeous.

⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) I don't know the book, but I love that pic! Aww wish I could be somewhere as nice now..! Enjoy your time!

Melanie Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ wrote: "Lovely review! I really loved this one. It reminded me that there are actually a few good New Adult novels out there and not all of them suck lol."

Hehe! Thank you so much, Sunny! I hope whatever you're reading right now is five star worthy, love! 💕xx

Melanie Azrah wrote: "Great review, this book was so good!"

Thank you so much, Azrah! I loved it... beyond words! 💕xx

Melanie ✩ Ashley ✩ wrote: "This book sounds so cute! Great review, Melanie :) ...ps pls tell me that’s Lake Las Vegas?! So gorgeous."

IT IS, ASHLEY! Ahhhh! My heart is so warm you recognized! Also, I never want to leave that place. Like, I want to move in! Hehe! Also, I really think you'd enjoy this one! Happy reading, babe! 💕xx

Melanie ⭐Anni⭐ wrote: "I don't know the book, but I love that pic! Aww wish I could be somewhere as nice now..! Enjoy your time!"

Awh, thank you, Anni! I'm already home (and sad about it)! Hehe! But I hope whatever you're currently reading is five star worthy, love! 💕xx

Meredith B.  (readingwithmere) Great review, Melanie! I loved this one too

message 17: by KAS (new)

KAS Awesome review, Melanie ;) So glad you loved Stella! I am very anxious to meet her soon! xoxo

message 18: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B Fabulous review Melanie!

Melanie Meredith B. wrote: "Great review, Melanie! I loved this one too"

Awh, thank you so much, Meredith! I loved your review! 💕xx

Melanie KAS wrote: "Awesome review, Melanie ;) So glad you loved Stella! I am very anxious to meet her soon! xoxo"

Thank you so much, love! I bet you'll really enjoy this one! You have to let me know! And then we can (hopefully) gush! Hehe! Happy reading! 💕xx

Melanie Holly wrote: "Fabulous review Melanie!"

Thank you so very much, Holly! I hope whatever you're currently reading is five star worthy! 💕xx

message 22: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Awesome review, Melanie!!

Melanie Deanna wrote: "Awesome review, Melanie!!"

Awh, thank you so very much, Deanna! I hope you're having happy reading, love! 💕xx

Olivia I hadn't actually heard of this book, and I'm not usually a big contemporary/chick-flick romance fan but my interest is piqued now! great review!

Melanie Olivia wrote: "I hadn't actually heard of this book, and I'm not usually a big contemporary/chick-flick romance fan but my interest is piqued now! great review!"

Awh, Olivia! This warms my dang heart! I hope you enjoy it! And thank you so much for your kind words! Happy reading, love! 💕xx

Marcela Macias Great review! I got the book because of the protagonist’s aspergers (my kids have sensory processing disorder and I was curious to read a novel about someone with some of their challenges)...and found a sweet steamy novel with two protagonists I loved and that, frankly, should be used to teach consent.

Melanie Marcela wrote: "Great review! I got the book because of the protagonist’s aspergers (my kids have sensory processing disorder and I was curious to read a novel about someone with some of their challenges)...and fo..."

Awh, thank you so much, Marcela! And I completely agree; everything about this book was so well done and I wish I could put it in everyone's hands! I hope your next book is amazing, love! Happy reading! 💕xx

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Thank goodness it's good!! Been really interested in this :D

Melanie Mary wrote: "Thank goodness it's good!! Been really interested in this :D"

I hope you love this one, Mary! I really think you will! Happy reading, my love! 💕xx

Elyse Walters Thank you for your WONDERFUL
WONDERFUL review!!!!!!!
I love everything about it!!!!

Melanie Elyse wrote: "Thank you for your WONDERFUL
WONDERFUL review!!!!!!!
I love everything about it!!!!

This little book dropped triggered so much love inside me I could barely contain!!!! 💕"

Awhhh, Elyse! Thank you so much, love! You are the sweetest soul on Goodreads, I swear! I hope you're having the happiest of reading! 💕xx

Sloane Just started reading, based on your review. Thank you!

Karishma Agarwal Kiss Quotient.... an interesting book .... Stella n Michale both have issues but they came over it by being strength for each other...
Lovely romantic book ...
I loved the best Stella speak up truth in any situation .
It give long smile ...
👌🏼👌🏼

Natalie Freese If only the book was as passionate as this review

message 35: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Thanks for putting into words why I loved this book. The sexual harassment gave me pause at the beginning, but the way the rest was handled was beautiful.