Connie N.'s Reviews > I've Been Thinking . . .Reflections, Prayers, and Meditations for a Meaningful Life

I've Been Thinking . . .Reflections, Prayers, and Meditations... by Maria Shriver

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, self-help, essays

This is really a collection of articles that Maria Shriver has published in her weekly (?) newspaper column. They cover all sorts of thoughts, from belief in God to politics, from family to personal growth. Although I believe this book was written from a place of caring and consideration, I kept thinking that Shriver is actually quite removed from the "regular folk." She grew up in a wealthy and famous family, and she moved into a public and political marriage. I appreciate the fact that she's non-judgmental and thinks a lot about her life and her beliefs, but I still got the impression that she's more focused on things that are totally different from my life. She's lived in a political world, of course, and sees things through that lens. And she's active and has a very public voice. All good things, or at least not bad things, but just not "regular." I'm sorry to place her in a category like that, but I'm trying to explain why I felt much of her advice and her thoughts were so far away from my reality. She seems like a truly caring person and I appreciated many of the things she said (witness the fact that I wrote down many quotes from her book that meant something to me or that made me think). But most of her thoughts weren't relevant. Maybe that's the way of all self-help books, and I should just take the nuggets that I can from it and not worry about the rest. And that I'll do. But that's the reason I'm giving it a middle-of-the-road 3 stars--I only found a handful of bits that work for me. But I particularly liked the hopeful nature of her narration and will probably look for more from her in the future.

Quotes I liked:

"Be open to help, be willing to ask for it, be brave enough to be grateful for it, and be generous enough to give it."

"What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it." - Maya Angelou

"Forgiveness is letting go of the need to feel like a victim."

"You are the hero of your own story. Stop making other people responsible for every twist and turn in your life. You made the decisions that got you from Point A to Point B. You worked hard. You navigated your way to where you are today. Your story is a heroine's journey. Tell it that way."

"So get your joy on. Spark joy in yourself, and before you know it, others will gravitate to you for their own joy shot."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Been Thinking . . .Reflections, Prayers, and Meditations for a Meaningful Life.

May 29, 2018 – Shelved
May 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 29, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction
May 29, 2018 – Shelved as: self-help
June 1, 2018 – Started Reading
June 7, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 15, 2018 – Shelved as: essays

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge You've articulated so clearly why I steer clear of many "celebrity" memoirs and/or self-help books. Yet those I've read ... I always find a few nuggets of useful information / thought-provoking advice.

Connie N. Yeah, I hear you. But the good news is that I have a much clearer picture in my head of Maria Shriver and admire her positive outlook very much.