Emily's Reviews > So You Want to Be a Wizard

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

Nov 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-reading-challenge, fantasy, good-for-boys, j-fiction

Why I picked it up: I needed a book with a magic wand in it for my reading scavenger hunt and when I put a plea for recommendations on facebook, I had not one, not two, not three, but FOUR people recommend this title.

Nita is running from a school bully and she hides in the library. She finds a book that she hasn’t seen before called “So you want to be a wizard.” She assumes it’s a joke, but when she gets home, realizes that it isn’t a joke, and she has what it takes to be a wizard. The next day, she sees a classmate trying wizardry and the two join together.

Overall, I didn’t really like it. It pains me a little, because it was so highly recommended, but it’s the truth. Part of what bothered me was the premise. These kids are learning really intense stuff with pretty major consequences, and they learn it all simply from the book with no supervision or even guidance from adult, experienced wizards. That doesn’t sound realistic to me, or like a good idea. Some of the details of the magic were so technical that they lost me.

I did like that the 2 wizards had different specialties and they used their strengths. Nita had a tendency and a gift toward the natural, so she used the trees to help her and had a wand from a tree in her yard. Kit was mechanically inclined and had an old Edsel antenna as a wand and was able to fix machines.

Reading Scavenger Hunt: Magic Wand
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Tria Reading scavenger hunt? That sounds like fun! Do you have a link for this, please? I'd love to try it, even if it was a time-limited competitive thing. Thanks.

(Oh, in case it *might* interest you, the author's updated the tech to present day in a new ebook edition - part of the trouble with writing a series over three decades or so, I guess!)