Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > Good Luck with That

Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

liked it
bookshelves: arc, read-2018

I knew when I read the description of this book that it would be controversial. I didn't realize how controversial until I started reading other reviews (after I finished it and had formed my own opinion).

Being fat isn't necessarily something I like to talk about, but I kind of am. I'm certainly not thin or slim or skinny. I'm over a healthy weight for my height (but a "healthy weight" according to BMI would have me looking like a stick...literally). I'm definitely fat according to societal standards, but I'm also pretty sure that many people would tell me I'm not fat because I don't fit some definition that someone on the Internet made up.

Are there problems with this book? Yes. Absolutely, there are. But I've yet to read any book that doesn't have some kind of issue with how a controversial topic is handled. This is the first time I've read one of Higgins' novels and I feel she has developed well-formed characters that are just trying to love themselves.

Georgia, Emerson, and Marley (and many of the supporting characters) all have their own body issues. The biggest message I took away from this book is that how we see ourselves is always VASTLY different from how others see us. I also felt like in some cases the author did some googling to figure out how life is for a fat person instead of having experienced it herself, but I still feel like she treated each of her characters respectfully.

There are some moments that are much sadder than your average beach read, but overall I enjoyed it.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Luck with That.

May 26, 2018 – Started Reading