Clint's Reviews > The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

Jun 09, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: religion, science
Read in June, 2008

3.0 - In this book Collins explains how he harmonizes his belief in God with his understanding of evolution and other scientific processes involved in the creation of our universe. While I don't agree with every conclusion that Collins reaches, his honest and reasonable approach make this a very interesting book. He does a good job of giving a broad-brush description of the major scientific theories involved (big bang and evolution) and evidence for them. His explanations of DNA, how it's used, and how it provides further evidence of evolutionary processes was particularly interesting. I felt his establishment of evolution as truth was a little lacking, as there were a few evolutionary question marks that weren't acknowledged, or weren't addressed as thoroughly as I'd have liked.

His arguments in favor of God were based primarily on the philosophical ideas of Moral Law and universal longing for God as presented by C. S. Lewis. While he touched on some physical evidences of a Creator, such as the beautiful mathematical connection with nature and its laws, based on the title I was expecting more. Just as his establishment of evolution was lacking, I found his establishment of God also lacking. He proclaimed Moral Law as his most convincing evidence, yet failed to really establish any sort of spiritual-based evidence. I realize that spiritual evidence is subjective and it deals more on a personal level, but isn't that how it should be? Faith is a personal decision, salvation is a personal issue, our relationship with God is personal, so the spiritual evidence for him should be personal.

The bottom line of the book though was that science and faith can and should happily coexist. Truth should be in harmony with truth. Science cannot prove nor disprove the existance and role of a Creator, all it can do is shed light on how the creations behave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of God.