Yvette's Reviews > Tigana

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Nov 28, 2011

bookshelves: marc
Read in March, 2011

How do I review a book that was so important to my teen years? A book that even now fifteen years later has the same profound affect? This is no small book at 600 odd pages but it is far weightier than could be imagined at first glance. This adventure will pull you in and keep you returning until the stories are all resolved.[return][return]The plots dance around each other drawing you ever further into the richly described world and the lives of the memorable characters. It’s a tale of struggle, of remembering family, of never-forgetting your roots. A story of patience to wait for the time to be right and of how to subtly force people to march to your drums. There is love and loss, life and death, uneasy peace and bloody war. The greatest plot though is of subterfuge, the subtle by-plays in the various political courts and also within the core group and their associates.[return][return]I remember being more interested in the sexual and romantic relationships when I read the book as a teen. Now, while I smiled at the half-remembered liaisons, the political intrigued of the freedom fighters fighting for their cursed, near forgotten country capture my attention more. I found myself willing them to succeed, the ending long forgotten over the span of years.[return][return]Tigana will always remain one of my most favourite books and worlds, that I will return to happily time and again.[return][return]I recommend Tigana to anyone who enjoys epic adventure with intriguing plots and memorable characters set in a beautifully descriptive world. I also recommend it to anyone wanting to understand something of what moves me, deep in the core of me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.