Kristin's Reviews > I'll Have What She's Having: How Nora Ephron's Three Iconic Films Saved the Romantic Comedy

I'll Have What She's Having by Erin Carlson

bookshelves: books-i-own

I loved this book! I expected to like it...I'm one of those people who loves watching special features on a DVD and hearing behind the scenes stories about my favorite movies. You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies ever, one that I can rewatch a hundred times and never get tired of it. I also really enjoy Sleepless in Seattle a lot. (I've only seen When Harry Met Sally once and don't remember too much, but I'm now planning on watching it again soon.) So obviously this book would appeal to me, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.

First of all, it's not exactly a scholarly study of romcoms, if that's what the title leads you to believe. There are a few passing references to other ones and certain directors and such, and how modern romcoms have and haven't changed from the 1930s and 40s. But mostly it's a tribute (an honest, non-glossy one) to Nora Ephron and the stories of the making of her three most loved movies.

I loved reading all about these movies! I learned so much, and I kept reading out random facts to my husband. (Like, I never knew that her parents were a screenwriting team during Hollywood's Golden Age.) There was so much of interest here. At the very beginning, the writing jumped around a bit and I found it confusing, but then things settled into a mostly chronological order and it was easy to follow. The writing style was clear and descriptive enough to suit this sort of book.

So yes, I highly recommend this book if you're a fan of these three movies. Just keep a notepad handy, because if you're like me, you'll be making a list of movies you want to watch or rewatch while reading this. And I also want to read some of Nora Ephron's works now!

(Really my only complaints are that there wasn't more information about Julie and Julia, because I really love that movie too, and the smattering of f-words in quotes from different people.)

Note: I received this book for free from the publisher, and this is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Have What She's Having.

May 29, 2018 – Shelved