*Flora*'s Reviews > The Demon of Dhaka

The Demon of Dhaka by Ayse Hafiza

30432008
Another Unique Installment in This Underrated Series!
You can read my full review on my WordPress blog, Flora's Musings...

So, what did I like about it?
I already like Ayse Hafiza’s writing style; I enjoy how her tales make you look at the world with new eyes, re-evaluate your beliefs and entertain you all at the same time. It’s quite a skill for an author to involve a reader in their characters’ tale in so few pages and The Demon of Dhaka did not disappoint me.

First chapter does a great job of reminding us who and what Jassassah The Demon is; she’s pragmatic, dedicated and patient with a somewhat dry sense of humour and out to cause mankind as much misfortune as she can but I can't help liking her.

I haven’t read any other stories that are set in Bangladesh and haven’t visited the country myself but Ms Hafiza’s talent as a writer describes Dhaka so well that I once again felt transported; the sights, sounds and smells leaping off the page while it’s the snippets of actual history and the inclusion of local folklore - the Meccho Booth, Dainee and Churel – that are woven into the prose that adds a further layer of detail, of depths, that elevates this novella into something special.

I had no pre-conceived ideas where the story would take me; I really enjoyed the journey with the scattered gems of wisdom, the satire, the twists and the different characters that Jassassah meets while on assignment in Dhaka. The next novella is The Demon of Paris so I assume that's the city she travels to next and I can’t wait to find out what mischief Jassassah stirs up there…

So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
I gave this book 5stars because there was nothing that niggled while reading it.

Having said that please be warned that not every scene in this book is palatable, some are very distressing to read, Ms Hafiza certainly doesn't shy away from difficult themes in this series; child abuse, physical abuse, racism, sexual abuse, human trafficking, illegal organ harvesting... however she tackles these subjects with compassion, engaging prose and sometimes even humour and manages to turn these scenes into social commentary, giving them an Aesop's Fable-esque quality.

So, basically what I’m saying is...
I really loved this novella. It is a unique read that had everything that I look for in a 5star book; intelligent writing style that's easy to follow, a main character with depth of personality, a great supporting cast and believable background story and setting (even when there's magic and the supernatural involved).

Due to some of the more violent and harrowing scenes, I'd recommend this book to adults who are not offended by content of this nature who enjoy paranormal fiction or urban fantasy adventures with some darker themes.
The Demon Series has a unique perspective and is an unexpected find that I can't recommend enough.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon of Dhaka.

May 29, 2018 – Shelved
May 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 4, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 –
9.0% "First chapter does a great job of reminding us who and what Jessassah the Demon is as well as describing Bangladesh (not a country I've visited)"
August 5, 2018 –
17.0% "Up to chapter 3. Jassassah is pragmatic, dedicated and I can't help liking her. I am learning about different folklore reading this series and this book is no exception."
August 5, 2018 –
30.0% "Up to chapter 5. Not every scene in this book is palatable, some are very distressing to read but Ms Hafiza manages to do it, even making the scenes an Aesop's Fable-esque lesson."
August 5, 2018 –
39.0% "Oh no, I think I can guess how this evil excuse for a human being earns money. I don't know if I want to carry on reading but I remember that things don't always turn out as expected in these books."
August 5, 2018 –
53.0% "Up to chapter 8. Jassassah The Demon is certainly a competent teacher."
August 5, 2018 –
82.0% "Up to chapter 11. This is no Disney tale; harsh reality written with intelligence. I am enjoying it even though I don't know where Ms Hafiza will take us next."
August 5, 2018 –
95.0% "That's the end of this novella and it was quite a journey! The remaining pages contain a note from the author, contact details, details about the rest of the series and Ms Hafiza's other books."
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reading-challenge