Chad's Reviews > I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution

I Want My MTV by Craig Marks

M 50x66
Nov 28, 2011

Read from November 28 to December 09, 2011

I came of age in the era of MTV's ascention into pop culture dominance, so almost all of the material in this book was familiar to me. It was fun to be able to hear these songs echoing in the far recesses of my brain while reading about the making of the videos, and for the most part I could recall a lot of the imagery from the videos themselves as they popped up in these chapters.

While MTV is currently a black hole in my cable lineup that I haven't purposefully tuned into for years, I do fondly remember how big of an impact it had on myself and my friends from the mid 80's to the early 90's. I don't think any of us had cable until at least 1984, so the channel was in full swing by the time we discovered it. It sparked our adolescent imaginations and gave us enough material to fuel countless daydreams of stardom (and surely more than a few dirty daydreams that we'd rather not discuss).

The book itself seems a little too long for its own good, but it was such a fun read that even the slower sections moved along nicely.

And the book answers the burning question: "What the hell happened to Billy Squier, anyways?".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Want My MTV.