Craig's Reviews > The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz

Nov 28, 2011

bookshelves: self-improvement
Read in November, 2011

An interesting read which examines the human spirit and psyche. The author's premise is that each person is programed (primed) from infancy to believe and adopt a certain set of beliefs (he/she is "domesticated"). These beliefs may be true or false, but they become our individual reality. Each person "buys into these beliefs" for good or bad (ie. we make "agreements" with ourselves). To the extent these beliefs are false and destructive to our happiness, the author suggests four agreements an individual may adopt to alter his/her false beliefs (essentially to effect a paradigm change): (1) Be impeccable with the Word (be true to the truth); (2) don't take anything personally (we often brand ourselfs, or are branded by others, falsely); (3) don't make assumptions (we often act on assumptions about others - or what they are thinking - which are false); and (4) Do your best in every circumstance (caveats: (1) our best may be at a higher level when we feel well than it is when we are tired or sick; and (2) doing our best does not mean to be excessive or set too high a goal). The author also discusses the negative impact of judging others and of the importance of love. The author takes his creed primarily from the teachings of Jesus Christ and from the Toltec philosophies. It is an interesting read in that it approaches eternal truths from a little different perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Agreements.

08/16/2016 marked as: read