Robin's Reviews > To Shake the Sleeping Self: A Journey from Oregon to Patagonia, and a Quest for a Life with No Regret

To Shake the Sleeping Self by Jedidiah Jenkins

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-drc, 2018-october, narrative-nonfiction, travel-narratives

In the 1970s I read Peter Jenkins' A WALK ACROSS AMERICA which ignited my love for anything involving true adventure. Since then I have been driven to read just about anything that incorporates some sort of challenging physical endeavour. When I discovered his son, Jedidiah, had written a book about biking from Oregon to the tip of Patagonia, I got a copy as soon as possible. However, while the road adventures were compelling and Jed's honesty and self-reflection about his personal beliefs and sexuality interesting, I felt a bit disconnected and couldn't get as invested in the story as I had hoped. It seemed that he omitted or glossed over some of his journeys but I did enjoy the stories about his parents as I had always wondered what happened to them. I also felt there were some inconsistencies that should have been caught or clarified [note: this observation was from the finished copy, not the galley].

Read this if you enjoy true biking adventures, but if you haven't read Barbara Savage's MILES FROM NOWHERE, her terrific story about biking around the world, or Bruce Weber's LIFE IS A WHEEL, the story about his journey across America, give them a try.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Shake the Sleeping Self.

May 28, 2018 – Shelved