Julie Christine's Reviews > The Storm

The Storm by Arif Anwar

One cyclone that erased half a million lives overnight. One nation carved into two. A war with so many sides that the entire world seemed on fire. And five stories that span sixty years and countless twists of fate.

Inspired by the Bhola Cyclone that devastated what is now Bangladesh in November 1970, Arif Anwar spins the globe and lands the reader in WWII Burma, the Partition of India in 1947, the 1970 Bhola Cyclone, the 1972 Bangladesh independence, and modern day Washington D.C. His premise—A dozen major and minor characters chronicle of the recent history of Bangladesh— an ambitious premise, yet Anwar weaves eras, nations, events, and characters together with grace and formidable skill.

What held me fast to the page was the richness of the characters; their loves and losses become our viewfinder, our way into understanding the religious conflict that divided India into Buddhist India and Muslim Pakistan; they humanize Japanese fighter pilots in shredded Burma; they reveal a modern immigrant's complicated relationship with his adopted country. As the pieces of the stories tumble and lock into place, forming a complete and interconnected picture, the suspense of how they will all fit together is a feat of agile storytelling. With perfect pacing, Anwar knows when and how to move each story along, giving enough detail for complicated history to resonate emotionally and intellectually without miring the reader in overmuch detail.

Beautifully written, with intelligent and elegant prose, The Storm is not to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm.

May 28, 2018 – Shelved
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: south-asia-theme-setting
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: war-conflict
July 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen This sounds amazing!

Arif Julie Christine. Thank you so much for reading. I will truly cherish your review.

Julie Christine Arif wrote: "Julie Christine. Thank you so much for reading. I will truly cherish your review." You are so very welcome, Arif!

Julie Christine Maureen wrote: "This sounds amazing!"
I think this is one you'd really enjoy, my friend!