Jennifer's Reviews > Confessions of a Shopaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

I've been wanting to read this series for forever but was waiting for my library to finally add it. They did, then there was a crazy wait list for it... yes, in 2018 lol. I guess I wasn't the only one waiting to read it.

My impressions: Not at all like the movie, but I read somewhere that the movie was actually a mashup of books 1-3 so I guess I'll have to read some more. I found Becky to be funny and extremely likable, but with a very sad and cringe-worthy problem. Like the title suggests, she's a shopaholic. But she's the real deal. Deep spirals of debt don't touch her very real compulsion because of the avoidance and rationalizations that come so easily to her. I was so excited for her when she found her intellectual and profitable calling in the media, and I thought it was a great way to end the book, only it wasn't the end and I was sad for her again. Addiction isn't solved that easily.

Overall, Confessions of a Shopaholic is a surprisingly deep book under the guise of funny chick-lit. Well-done, Sophie Kinsella.

My favorite quote:
“We all fail to appreciate each day just how much we already possess. Light, air, freedom, the companionship of friends.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Shopaholic.

May 25, 2018 – Started Reading
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: kinsella
May 28, 2018 – Shelved as: womens-fiction-chicklit
May 28, 2018 – Finished Reading
September 17, 2018 – Shelved as: finished-series

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Lola I loved this book, and the movie! Becky is hilarious.

Jennifer Lola wrote: "I loved this book, and the movie! Becky is hilarious."

Haha, agreed. She's a very likable character :)

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Huh. I haven’t read this series either, but adored the movie. GASP! The movie sounds better! Thoughts?

Jennifer Andrea wrote: "Huh. I haven’t read this series either, but adored the movie. GASP! The movie sounds better! Thoughts?"

Two very different experiences. The movie is quite superficial compared to the book. I actually liked elements of this book very much but watching Becky ruin her finances became a bit repetitive and tired the laughter right out of me. A great book overall though and I just finished listening to the second one which I enjoyed more than this first. Hope you get a chance to check it out, Andrea!

Myrna Glad you read it (:

message 6: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Love your review!