Penny's Reviews > A Trick of the Light: Poems from Iona

A Trick of the Light by Roselle Angwin

Reading slender books of poems back to back by two poets new to me ... both from the UK (one Irish, the other English), one male, one female, both of a certain age and thus having richly experienced decades of living, has been a treasure. Sweeney writes in a dark stain but with humor and is essentially a storyteller. His poems are narrative and are predominantly about people and speak only obliquely to the universal. Angwin is the lyric poet, the more spiritual, the more intimately connected to the intersection between nature and humanity. Some of her poems are almost hymns or prayers, which deeply connects them to their inspiration, her time on the Isle of Iona, as a leader of a writer's retreat. In the poems, she gives glimpses of the history of the island, its flora and fauna, and its place among the islands of the Scottish Hebrides. Her poems are haunting and finely crafted, hinting at deeper meanings within and a stillness beyond the particular moment she describes. Her poems are about light and about our better angels. His are dark and capture our demon haunted dreams. In Angwin, I have found my poet ... ready to join Emily and Billy and Mary in my personal pantheon. I must read more of her.

On a side note, I found her book on a counter in a little shop on Iona. I was instantly drawn to it and bought it (she is a Jungian, so, of course, I would be drawn) ... then to be told that the poet was in the room having her last meeting with her writing retreat group. I was able to wait for her and have her sign my copy. Now being one of those lucky participants is on my wish list for the future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trick of the Light.

May 28, 2018 – Started Reading