Lamepun's Reviews > Red Seas Under Red Skies

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

U 50x66
Nov 28, 2011

After reading The Lies of Locke Lamora, I was expecting more of this book, and it took two readings for me to fairly judge it.

There is one particular aspect I cannot forgive of this book: the prologue. I don't know whether the publisher or the author decided on this, but it was a flash-forward that set up Locke to be in a particularly dangerous position. By the time that point actually arrived, it turned out to be the anti-climax I expected. I think the prologue might have been there to set up the tension that, compared to tLoLL is practically absent for a long time in Red Seas Under Red Skies. With Scott Lynch's writing style, I don't think it's neccessary to do that kind of thing. He's got a lightly cynical tone that can keep the book going through the less engaging parts of the plot.

Other than the prologue, this book was as good as the last - but don't expect it to be the same. It's darker, and the characters are beginning to get caught up in things well beyond their control.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Seas Under Red Skies.