Claire's Reviews > In the Dark Spaces

In the Dark Spaces by Cally Black

bookshelves: australian-women-authors

Dark spaces

This was such a different story especially for the YA genre, so simple yet so complex if you wanted to delve deeper. The story of the poverty of the working people, rich mining giants happy to push whoever they want out of the way to achieve their goal of making more money, an alien race who have had enough of said company stealing the minerals they consider theirs and that they need to survive. It seems that the aliens have it the right way in that they look after their hive, everyone gets fed, no one is lesser than anyone else and all are protected. For Tamara, a young girl who has lived her life with barely enough food and has had to stay hidden on a ship in space with only her baby cousin to keep her company during the day, the arrival and attack on her ship by the alien race the Garuwa a bird like species is the worst thing to ever happen. But as she gets to know these strange people and understand them, she wonders why both their species can't get along. Tamara is exceptionally brave and very clever without really realising it. This is a easy story to read that had me completely engaged throughout. I can definitely see the parallels of how our traditional land owners are treated by our large mining companies and how the distance between the rich and the poor is growing in our country.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Dark Spaces.

May 27, 2018 – Shelved
page 85
October 13, 2018 –
page 145
October 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Mathers I would never have gleaned all that from the cover, but I can see it now. Thanks for a great review. :)

Claire Georgia wrote: "I would never have gleaned all that from the cover, but I can see it now. Thanks for a great review. :)"

Thank you 🙂 I'm glad you got some more insight into the story. I hope I haven't given too much away with the review.