Lola 's Reviews > The Kiss Quotient

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

it was ok
bookshelves: 2018-publications, romance, autism, diversity-yay, adult
Recommended to Lola by: Rachel Aranda
Read 2 times. Last read May 27, 2018.

I am… not impressed.

How lovely that this is an #ownvoices novel. Stella is autistic, as is the author, and so, no one can say that it is not authentic.

But the storyline is not, however, very realistic.

See, Stella is bad at sex, or so she says. She’s also bad at relationships and human interactions in general. So she hires Michael, an escort, to teach her a thing or two.

Or three. *suggestive eyebrows*

I was entertained for the first fifty or so pages, then I became tired of the sex talk. Do we really need to talk about it in every single page? No, we don’t.

I was expecting a smart romance, but it really isn’t that original. Of course, the fact that the main character is autistic is a breath of fresh air, but I didn’t connect with her. I *understood* her – she’s pretty straightforward and eloquent – but none of the characters felt particularly three dimensional to me.

It’s a lot of will they/won’t they, but the reader knows that they will. Come on. So the fact that the protagonists are so confused about their feelings for one another gets old fast and becomes rather annoying. Enough!

It also isn’t… romantic. Or extremely sexy. It’s steamy at times – what with all the sex/foreplay I sure hope so – but it didn’t summon stars in my eyes (or, something else…) and I will soon forget about this couple. It didn’t help that the writing was quite dry.

I know. This is an important book. But I won’t rate a book highly if it didn’t win my heart, especially considering that there are other *important* novels out there that actually managed to claim a place on my list of favourites.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kiss Quotient.

Finished Reading
May 27, 2018 – Started Reading
May 27, 2018 – Shelved
May 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry you didn’t connect with this one, Lola :( Hoping your next is a five star winner!! xoxo

Lola Thank you, KAS! xo

Anushka (Dragon Reader) Sorry that you didn’t like this one, Lola.

Lola Thank you :)

message 5: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Aranda It sounds like this book is like junk food when you’re doing a health cleanse. It’s not good for you and you kind of regret it once you experience the side effects.

Lola Yeah, but I don't regret you recommending it to me :)

message 7: by Beatrice (last edited May 28, 2018 01:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Dang! I was excited for this one 😂😭

Carol (Bookaria) Hope the next one is better, Lola! I requested this one

Lola Hmm here's to you having a different experience than I did, Bea! :/

Lola Thanks, Carol! Eager to read your thoughts.

message 11: by Masooma (new)

Masooma The story sound a bit boring! Great review though, Lola

Lola Yeah, not so original after all. Thank you, Masooma :)

message 13: by Million (new)

Million S. What kind of book is this

Lola the disappointing kind

message 15: by caren (new) - rated it 1 star

caren Thank goodness I'm not the only one who didn't like it. Thank you, Lola, THANK YOU.

Lola Yay, I'm not alone!

message 17: by Million (new)

Million S. Could you imagine if a 10 year old pulled this off the shelf!?

message 18: by Million (new)

Million S. Although I would like your thoughts on “ This Is Where The World Ends” (By Amy Zhang)

message 19: by Million (new)

Million S. I want to know if I want to get it or not

Nadine Grech I wish I read this review sooner! I'd been so looking forward to it only to end up being disappointed when I ended up not liking it at all.

message 22: by Million (new)

Million S. Hello Addie

message 23: by Million (new)

Million S. If you are still on

message 24: by Million (new)

Million S. I would like to say hi

message 25: by Million (new)

Million S. I’ve never seen someone on from 1 minute ago

Addie H Million wrote: "I’ve never seen someone on from 1 minute ago" hi, what's up?

Kayla Brunson I just started this a couple of days ago and I'm not loving it either.

Shelved I agree. Thank you! Finally someone is honest that it's not that great just because it is different.

message 29: by Million (new)

Million S. Addie wrote “hi, what’s up?” Nothing much how about you?

message 30: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth This is exactly how I felt reading this book. So boring.

Melissa Finally . . . someone else who didn't love this book! I was beginning to think I was crazy. I liked both Stella and Michael enough, I just found their story to be incredibly basic and predictable. I guess for someone who reads quite a bit of romance, I expected more. Especially after all of the buzz. Nice review, Lola.

LeeAnn Taylor Thank you so much! I devoured the first 100 pages of this book and now am forcing myself to finish the last 200 pages. It’s the plot over and over again.

Chava I was excited to see this book pop up at first. Stella's autism and Michael's mixed-race heritage both were huge selling points for me. I was convinced this book would be anything but stereotypical. But the sex scenes were gratuitous and predictable, and about halfway through it became almost painful to finish. So, I was glad to see your review to know that I wasn't completely up in the night not to love this.

Haylz i so totally agree with your review!!! every single point you made

Kristina I’m 60 pages in and struggling to finish. I loved Eleanor Oliphant and was hoping this might be similar.

message 36: by Million (new)

Million S. .... could you imagine if some 10 year old pulled this off the shelf?!

Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn Also very disappointed.

Kelly Jade You put into words my feelings on it.

Kendra Great review, perfectly sums up now I felt about the book.

message 40: by Inja (pages.jpg) (new)

Inja (pages.jpg) This os exactly how I felt with he hating game 😫

message 41: by Val (new)

Val I agree. I really struggled to finish it honestly.

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ I love, love, love this review!!! xoxo

Tissy Feel exactly the same. If I could have been bothered to write a review this is kinda what I would have said but less eloquently 😌

message 44: by Sarah S (new) - added it

Sarah S 70 pages in and considering DNFing. Got it from Book of the Month because I heard it was an amazing groundbreaking romance. So far it's just too much sex and not enough actual relatable story...

message 45: by Inna (new) - rated it 1 star

Inna It was pretty bad - boring and unrealistic, read The Rosie Project or Eleanor Oliphant instead

Jenna Wolfe Spot on!

message 47: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Harden What Inna said.

Xander Grant Thank you Lola. I agree. Kept waiting for it to take off, but it just never did for me.

Cassie Totally agree.

Nayda Verier-Taylor Glad I’m not the only one who was underwhelmed! Felt like it got a lot of hype and two cheers for the inclusivity of the topic but otherwise it was surprisingly pretty 50 shades...

« previous 1 3