Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian, fiction, romance, series, young-adult

YA dystopian novels were my favourites to read while I was in school, so I was intrigued to see if this would live up to my 15-year-old self’s standards. I’m not sure whether it’s because I’m older, or because the book is typical and formulaic, but I wasn’t surprised by this. It’s by no means a bad story, it just follows a lot of predictable tropes which left me slightly disappointed.

Legend is about teenager Day who is the country’s most wanted criminal. We watch him fight for his family’s survival while the Republic’s teenage prodigy, June, seeks to avenge her brother’s death, Day being the prime suspect. When the two cross paths, they uncover the truth about the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

There was no elaborate world, and while I thought both Day and June had interesting backgrounds and developed throughout the novel, they act way older than 15. They seem impressively intelligent and perceptive given their age. I couldn’t help but be in disbelief as they conveniently leapt to accurate conclusions.

Furthermore, the aspect that appeals to me most about dystopian novels is that the worlds subtly parallel our own in some shape or form. There is typically an underlying commentary about the society we live in; a corrupt government, the terrifying rise of technology or our prevalent environmental concerns. Aside from the shady government and underdeveloped politics, we don’t get that here. Nonetheless, it was still action-packed and swarmed with brutality, lies, kidnaps and street fights.

While this wasn’t my favourite, I won’t brush it off completely. If you love a trashy dystopia with star-crossed romance or are seeking out some light entertainment to pull you out of a reading slump, I’d recommend you try this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

May 27, 2018 – Shelved