Kaia Landelius's Reviews > Färjan

Färjan by Mats Strandberg

bookshelves: 1990s-and-on, book-bingo-2018, in-swedish, library-book, queer-protag, horror

Holy fuck, this book.

It's about a Finland ferry, a cruise ship going from Sweden to Finland and back again. These cruises are known for being kind of tacky, all about boozing it up (last time my mum went on one middle aged men were so drunk that they had to be wheeled through the ship to their bunks in wheelchairs) and so on.

So this is one of those, except that there's 'something' onboard. This something happens to be what is said to be vampires, but in reality they're more like a cross between vampires and zombies, depending on how long it is since they converted. They decide to expand their numbers a bit, and well. It's disgusting and violent and bloody, and absolutely terrifying.

You get to follow a large number of people, both guests and staff, and my one complaint is that the chapters are super short, the cast is large and at times it gets kind of confusing and kind of scattered. Still, the characters are mostly likable (my favourites are two 12-year-old cousins, a gay couple that JUST broke up - one proposed and the other freaked out a bit - and are running around on separate parts of the ship unable to stop thinking about each other, and an elderly woman who keeps up with the younger people JUST FINE) except for the ones that are the absolute worst, and tbh I may never get on a boat again.

I read it in Swedish, but according to GoodReads it also exists in English under the title Blood Cruise, if you want to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Färjan.

May 27, 2018 – Shelved