Minni Mouse's Reviews > Damsel

Damsel by Elana K. Arnold

did not like it
bookshelves: 2018, disturbing, dnf-because-kill-me-now, dragons, skimmed-because-so-confused, standalone, stars-1

Admittedly, I skimmed this book in an hour. On the other hand, it was boring and senseless and one star is being generous.

This reminds me of the tone behind Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge in its attempted creativity and dark themes...(view spoiler)

Yep, definitely a one star.

THE GOOD
The author does a fair job of making Emory an unlikable character.

THE BAD
1) Literally everything.

2) From the three books I've read on the topic, I can't stand this new wave of "feminist" books among the fantasy genre. Surface Breaks was just as painful and negative to read, which is a book often compared to Damsel.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Nope. Nope, nope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damsel.

May 27, 2018 – Shelved
October 6, 2018 – Started Reading
October 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Anne Marie Literally me.

Minni Mouse RIGHT.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I May Have Found Another Adult Novel Mislabeled as Young Adult. That Comes Out February 25th 2020

Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold

You are alone in the woods, seen only by the unblinking yellow moon. Your hands are empty. You are nearly naked.

And the wolf is angry.

Since her grandmother became her caretaker when she was four years old, Bisou Martel has lived a quiet life in a little house in Seattle. She’s kept mostly to herself. She’s been good. But then comes the night of homecoming, when she finds herself running for her life over roots and between trees, a fury of claws and teeth behind her. A wolf attacks. Bisou fights back. A new moon rises. And with it, questions. About the blood in Bisou’s past and on her hands as she stumbles home. About broken boys and vicious wolves. About girls lost in the woods—frightened, but not alone.

Elana K. Arnold, National Book Award finalist and author of the Printz Honor book Damsel, Damsel by Elana K. Arnoldreturns with a dark, engrossing, blood-drenched tale of the familiar threats to female power—and one girl’s journey to regain it.

This Might Have MATURE Content in it...