K's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

F 50x66
Nov 27, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: bookclub, scifi-fantasy-magicrealism, maybe-it-s-me, situation-not-a-story, lord-help-me-im-just-not-that-brigh
Read from November 27 to December 03, 2011

Okay, trolls -- all of you who want to accuse me of rating this book low because my inferior intellect failed to grasp its greatness, bring it on. It's probably true. I found this book simply impenetrable.

I didn't get a story. I didn't get characters. Hell, I didn't even really get worldbuilding despite this book's taking place in an imagined reality. What I did get was a vague sense of some themes the author wanted to convey and explore. The idea that, if the world blew up tomorrow and another several centuries went by, we would probably repeat all the same developments and mistakes. The old science vs. religion thing. And probably some other themes I would have picked up had I read more carefully rather than skimming in a desperate attempt to just finish it already.

Even when I picked it up with only 30 pages left 'till the end, I had absolutely no curiosity or motivation to read the rest of it. That's pretty telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

11/28/2011 page 75
22.0% "I see this is a quality book, but I'm not sure whether I actually like it. Kind of slow." 4 comments
12/02/2011 page 228
68.0% "I guess I'm just not smart enough to appreciate his book." 6 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Riv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riv Amen, sister!

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka Khaya, I like sf much more than you usually do, and I decided years ago that despite this book being a huge sf classic, I was never going to read it.

I feel so validated. ;)

message 3: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K I'm glad to have validated you! I certainly can't recommend it, although lots of other goodreaders seem to disagree.

message 4: by rivka (new)

rivka Khaya wrote: "lots of other goodreaders seem to disagree."

Oh, I know. Among people I follow and my friends, the average rating is close to 4 -- with several 5-star ratings and some gushing reviews.

But you're also not the only one who gave it two stars.

message 5: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K I think I'll go read those reviews so I can feel validated too!

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka Sadly, the other friends who gave it 2 stars did not review it.