Abigail's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

Nov 27, 2011

it was ok
Read in November, 2011

If you go through the other reviews, then you can figure out that his is a disutopian novel about Eve, who runs away from her all-girls school.

(If I see anyone compare this to The Handmaid's Tale, I'm going to go, "Bitch, don't even go there.")

Now, I can get why Eve is so inept at basically every decision-making aspect of her life post-school. She (and pretty much every other student in the school) has been brainwashed into believing lies issued by the King. However, that doesn't excuse most of her behavior.

Only about a week after meeting Caleb, she's in love with him. Yes, author, let's forget that for the past 11 or so years, she's had no contact with men and has been told constantly and shown videos that MEN ARE BAD. That all their literature is so skewed to the point of the women did nothing wrong at all, and that the men seduced them and ruined their lives. (Granted when Eve leaves the school, she knows that most of everything has been lies, but... you'd think she'd still be pretty weary of men.)

And then at the safe house! She used the easiest code, and then gave away their location. How could it not occur to Miss Valedictorian that THE BAD GUYS MAY KNOW IT TOO?! Why couldn't she have come up with any other message than one GIVING AWAY THEIR LOCATION? Serious hate for this. SERIOUS.

I'll admit now that there was only one thing that got me through the mess, and that was Eve/Caleb- that Arden was secretly in love with Eve and that at some point she was going to confess her love. (However, that was not the case. I still hold hope, though...) Please let her be in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.

message 2: by Em (new) - rated it 1 star