Laure Estep's Reviews > An Earl for the Archeress

An Earl for the Archeress by E. Elizabeth Watson

bookshelves: robin-hood

It started off fairly typically with a stereotypically anachronistically spunky heroine who wears trousers and can beat the men in archery. The kind you've seen a repeatedly in young adult or old romances. But as we get further into the story, Mariel becomes a more complex, engaging character and this retelling of the Robin Hood legend sparks to life when Mariel crosses paths with Robert, Earl of Huntington.

The Earl is a delicious blend of hero and rogue, fighting injustice in the form of the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham and his conspirators. His curiosity and protective instincts are aroused by the spirited woman masquerading as a boy who nearly bests him in an archery tournament.

All the usual Robin Hood-y goodness you'd expect is there: daring capers, a merry band, and more than the usual heartfelt drama as the cheeky Earl and the wildling girl fight it out. I nearly gave up on this book early, but I'm glad I continued, as it was one of the most fun versions of the legend I've come across.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Earl for the Archeress.

May 26, 2018 – Started Reading
May 26, 2018 – Shelved
May 26, 2018 –
40.0% "A bit rocky to start with. I think I rolled my eyes more often than our spunky little heroine did at first, but as the story has progressed, I've gotten to like it quite a bit."
May 29, 2018 – Finished Reading