Jaci Miller's Reviews > The Changing Tide

The Changing Tide by K.A. Dowling

Captivated from the beginning, The Changing Tide by K.A. Dowling quickly became a page turner I didn’t want to put down. The story centers on a young Cairan gypsy girl, who rebels against the stalwart rules and laws of the king who governs the island of Chancey. A historical tale that immerses the reader into a world of pirates, rebels, and kings, and emphasizes class structures, oppression of a people, and the authoritarian tendencies of a man in power.

The language Dowling uses and the formation of her prose create the perfect atmosphere for her historical novel pulling the reader into the fantasy world and creating a reality far from our own. Her talent for the written word adds depth to her storytelling, enhances her world-building, and crafts characters that are well-rounded and interesting as they weave fluidly in and out of each other’s storylines. The reader is surrounded by the island of Chauncey through visual representation, decisive character portrayal, and in-depth historical accuracy. Dowling has created a fantastical world that is both vivid and imaginative.

Just as her world pulled me in so too did her characters. The depth and dimensions of each was engaging, and I found myself drawn to many of them. Emerala is bold, engaging, and interesting. Her carefree attitude, rebel spirit, and inner strength, a lethal combination for a female protagonist. Nerani, level-headed yet fearful of the outside world, battles an inner desire that could betray her self-worth and her people.

The main antagonist, the king, and General Byron represent the ability for an antagonist to be more than a caricature of evil or one-dimensional. Byron is both frustrating and likable and I often found myself understanding his predicament and respecting his commitment to the crown even though his actions were just wrong. He is a sympathetic character, with many-dimensions and I was drawn to him the most. The king was easy to hate; his lack of empathy and his absurdly overt sense of entitlement all played into this well-rounded villain, but Dowling also managed to make him human. With inner demons of his own and an illogical fear of the people he persecuted and the myth they represented he became a fear-mongering ideologue. I enjoyed Dowling’s antagonists as much as I enjoyed her protagonists as there was a balance between their morals, worldview, and resulting actions that created engaging interactions and heightened the tension or the story.

Dark and edgy, The Changing Tide is a tale lost in time, fraught with intrigue, suspense, and biting prose and guaranteed to transport the reader fully into the make-believe world of Chancey. Book one of the Rogue Elegance series did not disappoint and I look forward to immersing myself in Dowling’s fantasy world once again with the remaining books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changing Tide.

May 26, 2018 – Started Reading