Karen's Reviews > Warlight

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje

A very different sort of coming of age story, with the most dramatic first sentence to entice you into this world.

1945. Post war, bombed out London. Nathaniel and Ruth.. teenage brother and sister left in the care of a man called “The Moth” a shady character, while their parents go away
to Singapore.

A mysterious tale that is full of adventure ..and secrets that Nathaniel becomes aware of as he ages.

My first Michael Ondaatje novel. Will be reading more of him!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warlight.

May 26, 2018 – Shelved
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 24, 2018 – Started Reading
July 29, 2018 –
page 148
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Paula Kalin Hope you are enjoying, Karen!

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Sounds good Karen :)

Paula Kalin Glad you enjoyed, Karen. Sounds good. I’m adding to my list.

message 4: by JanB (new)

JanB Intriguing review Karen! Sounds good.

message 5: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Terrific review, Karen, on my list! I'm so glad you enjoyed this so much!

message 6: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie I had possession of it, but had to give my copy back--rats! Ondaatje is fabulous.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Karen! I definitely want to read this one!

Karen Thank you everyone... it was very different and I enjoyed it but it took me a long time to read😊

message 9: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Karen, I haven’t read this yet but hope to . Great review. I loved The English Patient and The Cat’s Table.

Dianne Nice review, Karen! Happy you liked this; it was my first Ondaatje as well.

Bianca Great review. I had to return it unread. I'll try again later in the year.

message 12: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Nice review. Sounds good!

Karen Thank you ladies😊

message 14: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Karen!

Karen Thank you Susanne!

message 16: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Schroeder Karen, Ondaatje won the Booker for "The English Patient" but should have won it for "In the Skin of a Lion." Read "In the Skin of a Lion" first. Minor characters in that become major characters in "The English Patient." Both are excellent novels. Enjoy.

Karen Nick wrote: "Karen, Ondaatje won the Booker for "The English Patient" but should have won it for "In the Skin of a Lion." Read "In the Skin of a Lion" first. Minor characters in that become major characters in ..."

Kathleen Great review, Karen. Glad that you enjoyed the book. I also gave it 4 stars.