Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡'s Reviews > Shameless King

Shameless King by Maya Hughes

20997898

liked it
bookshelves: arc

I hadn't planned on him at all, but sometimes life had a way of interfering with the best laid plans.

Hockey romance became my favourite with Ms. Kennedy's Off-Campus series, featuring delicious muscled college students. And Kristen Callihan's Game On series made me fall in love with sports romance. It is always exciting discovering new authors, especially when they promise an upcoming hockey sports romance.

So, when Maya Hughes appeared on my radar, I almost died of happiness. Shameless King features my sacred triad: college setting, sports romance and enemies-to-lovers trope. I couldn't want anything more. So why not five stars? Because after some deliberation, I realised some things prevented me from wanting to rate Shameless King that.

» Too much repetition during the beginning.

» Character development could have been more rounded. Relationship wise, Declan and Makenna showed significant progression and this was demonstrated well. However, their individuality felt flat and two-dimensional at times.

» Declan's personal issues were kind of awkward, making it difficult for me to fully wrap my head around it. It could have become a significant point of contention with some more work, rather than leaving it as what feels to me to be a minor background annoyance.

Outside of these points Shameless King is still an enjoyable read that matched my criteria. I've been desperate for another hockey romance.

Seeing her this open and needy and demanding, all wrapped into one beautiful package, made my cock throb in anticipation of giving her everything she needed.

Something readers either don't mind or absolutely detest is an overwhelming amount of character introductions. And that happens in Shameless King.

In between meeting the five Kings of Rittenhouse and various side characters, Ms. Hughes doesn't divulge too much information, leaving an air of mystery to surround these vastly different personalities. While Declan wasn't my ideal candidate, Ford one hundred percent is, with his shy and mysterious personality. I cannot wait for his book!

Blog | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shameless King.

May 26, 2018 – Shelved
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 11, 2018 – Started Reading
June 11, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
June 13, 2018 –
June 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Glad you enjoyed, Rochelle! <3 xx

Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡ Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Glad you enjoyed, Rochelle! <3 xx"

aaah, didn't see this comment until now! Thank you, Alex <3