Meg's Reviews > The Accidentals

The Accidentals by Sarina Bowen

I'm not sure where to start with this book. There were so many facets to it, and so much to admire. First of all, I enjoy Sarina Bowens' other books. She has a way of roping in a reader on page one and keeping you tied up until the last page. Both nuanced and immersive, her contemporary YA debut sparkles just as brightly.

The Accidentals begins with Rachel, a teen who has just lost her mother, and without family to take her, she's put in the custody of her biological father, a famous rocker who she has never met, but always secretly idolized. All her life, Freddy Ricks has sent checks, but never been part of her life, until now. Her father’s rock 'n' roll lifestyle isn't ready made for the sudden appearance of a teenage daughter, but he adjusts, and the two begin to carefully navigate their newfound father-daughter relationship. Despite Freddy's work to prioritize Rachel, she can't trust him. The question is always there—WHY did he leave her and her mother? Why did he stay away, and will he abandon her when she needs him the most?

As a fan of rags-to-riches stories, I was addicted. That element was delicious and well delivered. I couldn't pull away from Rachel's story, and I found myself waiting for the answers to her questions with just as much urgency as the character. Freddy Ricks is a well crafted character, full of flaws and complexities and depth, as is Rachel, who starts out handling her relationship with Freddy like it's fragile as glass, but knows eventually, she'll have to test him AND herself. The cast of supporting characters is also rich and well developed and important to the story. The Accidentals digs deep into complicated relationships—some made murky by past mistakes, some tested by the unexpected, and some deepening against all odds. This is a story to sink into and think about long after the final page.

I received an advanced copy from the author. This review reflects my opinion of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidentals.

Started Reading
May, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 26, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Christie«SHBBblogger» Terrific review! I'm excited she's venturing into YA! Is there a romance in this as well?