Lynne's Reviews > Gyges the Terrible

Gyges the Terrible by Adam   Wasserman

Nov 27, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, mystical, dystopian, science-fiction, first-reads-from-goodreads, own
Read from March 29 to April 06, 2012

I received this book in a GoodReads first-read giveaway.

Overall, I liked Gyges the Terrible very much. It took a little while for me to really get into or even like this book. Honestly, during a lot of the first half of the book, my face was like this O_o. I truly tried to be interested but stayed quite confused with what was happening and why. I really hoped it would get better and plodded on. Fortunately, somewhere around the middle of the book the characters became more focused and a little more relate-able. The clouds parted and a plot came into view - the book started making more sense to me.
yay! :)
I started understanding and liking Marcellus about the time he met and saved Ms Tillman (who only had a cameo part, but was probably my favorite character). It was that act that changed not only the course of Marcellus' life but also helped move the the book forward in a way that earned it the four stars I gave.
Despite the title, Marcellus Gyges is not a terrible person. Misunderstood? yes, probably. He didn't always make the wisest choices in life (who does?) but deep down he's not a terrible guy. And I liked how the author ended things in a believable way.

Just as a heads up, there is a fairly liberal amount of cussing and lewd behavior in this book - though it adds character value so I'm not going to knock it.

While the author writes very intellectually and there were times I felt it was just a little over my head. As a whole, Gyges the Terrible has it all ... love and war, greed and politics, fantasy and philosophy. And in the end, I really liked it.
I would recommend this book to really smart people (who aren't prudish) who are looking for a read that is meaty and thought provoking.

I also loved these two quotes from the book, simply because they are awesome and wise words.

Favorite Quote #1:
There are three kinds of people in this world, Marcellus. Them's learn by training, them's learn by watching, and everybody else who got to touch the fire to see if it's hot.

Favorite Quote #2:
I thought of that classical logical dilemma, the sentence "I am a liar." If I really am a liar, then I am telling the truth, in which case I am not a liar, in which case I am not telling the truth, in which case I am a liar. The logical circle goes on and on into infinity, & of course the reason is that it is not a logical puzzle at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gyges the Terrible.

03/31/2012 page 50
show 12 hidden updates…

Adam Wasserman Hi Lynne, I'm happy to read that you enjoyed Gyges, even if it takes a while to get into.

It's interesting to me that you found Marcellus' encounter with Ms. Tillman to be a turning point. Also, I'm glad you didn't think Marcellus was such a bad guy. I agree with your assessment of him entirely.