K.A. Davis's Reviews > Picked Off

Picked Off by Linda Lovely

PICKED OFF, the second book in the Brie Hooker Mysteries by Linda Lovely, is a terrific addition to a zany series that will keep you entertained! From the opening scene to the final chapter, there are several attention grabbing plotlines to keep the reader turning pages. Protagonist, Brie Hooker, is a vegan yet finds herself working at her Aunt Eva’s Udderly Kidding goat dairy farm, tending to 400 goats. Surrounded by meat and cheese loving family and friends, Brie still holds her own and has taken it as her mission to convert them by introducing her vegan fare a little at a time. Aunt Eva is quite the character and the repartee that she and Brie have is quite humorous. I also enjoy Brie’s curses of choice, which are concoctions of meat and cheese phrases. This adds to the colorfulness of the dialog without resorting to inappropriate language. Another colorful addition is Brie’s best friend, Mollye. She is a great sidekick and adds more hilarity to each scene she’s in. Also, I can’t overlook the two male supporting characters, Andy and Paint. These hunky best friends both want to date Brie and she in turn is enamored of them both. While I don’t mind a love triangle starting out in a series, I’m not a fan of it continuing past the first book. For me, in this instance, it did detract from the overall plot and mystery which is unfortunate because I do love the characters and Ms. Lovely’s writing style.

That said, when the story centered on the mystery at hand I was enthralled! A contender for South Carolina’s governorship goes missing, her pro-football quarterback son is attacked, and his old high school friend is found murdered. Not only was I kept guessing about who the killer could be, I was kept guessing about who the intended victim(s) really were and why they were the victim. Could it be someone who opposes the political candidate or does someone from Vegas have it in for the quarterback? Haunted houses, secrets from the past, sketchy news reporters, and the theme of gambling are woven into this fun read!

I was provided an advance copy via Netgalley with the hopes I would review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Picked Off.

Started Reading