~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s Reviews > Rainbow Place

Rainbow Place by Jay Northcote

bookshelves: m-m, bisexual-ofy, british-boys

If you're looking for an angst fest or cotton candy, Rainbow Place is not the book. It's neither super angsty nor light and fluffy. It's somewhere in between: a well-written, balanced story featuring a Cornwall setting and two British MCs in their 30s.

Seb has been out and proud since he was a teenager. After inheriting some money from his grandfather, Seb moves to Cornwall from London to open a café. Initially, he doesn't have a theme in mind, but after discussing the concept with his friends (a lesbian couple), he realizes he misses his former queer social circle and wants to create an LGBT-friendly place, a safe space in an otherwise "old-fashioned" (read: not always accepting) community.

Jason is the contractor doing the renovations on the café. The men feel a spark immediately, and, against his better judgement, Seb begins a relationship with Jason. And therein lies the conflict: Jason is closeted and deeply ashamed of his sexuality (and ashamed of his shame).

Not everyone in town is happy about Seb's plans, and we witness a nasty hate crime. This is when Jason utterly fails Seb. I was so angry with him and not at all sure I could have forgiven him as quickly as Seb did, despite Jason's "big gesture."

I do wish the book had been longer. I wanted more page time with the MCs, although the relationship never felt rushed and the ending—a strong HFN—was believable and not forced. I typically prefer a blinding HEA, which should be news to exactly no one. But since this is the first novel in a series, I trust that Jay is not abandoning Seb and Jason and we'll revisit with them in subsequent books.

This is a steamy story and definitely on the dirty side of vanilla, which Praise Jesus! Jay really knows his way around a sex scene.

I really appreciate that while the setting and secondary characters, some of whom are clearly potential MCs (I hope Jason's assistant Will gets a story!), are well developed, Rainbow Place doesn't read like a setup for the rest of the series. The focus remains firmly on Seb and Jason.

I'm also thrilled that Jason's ex-wife and tween daughter are both super supportive without being overwhelmingly so. Jason has a great relationship with his ex, and Seb doesn't mind one bit that Jason has a child.

Overall, this is a sexy read with some serious moments that showcase the ugly underbelly of small towns with their deep-seated fear of anyone different, anyone BRAVE.

I am very much looking forward to more book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow Place.

May 26, 2018 – Shelved
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 26, 2018 – Shelved as: m-m
June 2, 2018 – Started Reading
June 2, 2018 – Shelved as: bisexual-ofy
June 2, 2018 – Shelved as: british-boys
June 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Ariana (last edited Jun 03, 2018 12:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana Sounds fab! I really like Jay’s writing and as always a British setting is very tempting. Super review, Dani!

Cadiva Awesome review Dani and I totally agree! I get where you're coming from with Seb's forgiveness but I felt it was true to form for him.
He understood Jason's fears and, although he was understandably hurt, it made sense to me that he was looking for the reason to let him back in at that point.

I'm hoping we get Alex and Cam's story next. Must admit, I hadn't thought of Will as having one but I could totally see him falling for a tourist and being completely surprised by it :)

Claudia Thank you!

Cadiva Ariana wrote: "Sounds fab! I really like Jay’s writing and as always a British setting is very tempting. Super review, Dani!
Just checked and couldn’t see a publishing date. Do you know when this is coming out?"

June 15th if I remember rightly Ariana.

Virginia Cavanillas Omg I used that cake too! And a message! I’m a copycat! 😂😂 super agree. Great review Dani!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Vir wrote: "Omg I used that cake too! And a message! I’m a copycat! 😂😂 super agree. Great review Dani!"

Great minds think alike. 😉

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Ariana wrote: "Sounds fab! I really like Jay’s writing and as always a British setting is very tempting. Super review, Dani!

Yeah, June 15th. And thank you, darling. I love Jay's work.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Claudia wrote: "Thank you!"

You're welcome. 😃 😃

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Cadiva wrote: "Awesome review Dani and I totally agree! I get where you're coming from with Seb's forgiveness but I felt it was true to form for him.
He understood Jason's fears and, although he was understandabl..."

I agree. The forgiveness was true to Seb's personality. He was an easygoing guy, and he really liked Jason. I'm glad that we got a dual POV because seeing Jason's struggles made him much more real in my eyes.

Ariana Cadiva wrote: "Ariana wrote: "Sounds fab! I really like Jay’s writing and as always a British setting is very tempting. Super review, Dani!
Just checked and couldn’t see a publishing date. Do you know when this i..."

Thank you, Cadiva! :)

Lelyana I think Alex and Cam in the next book would be awesome hahahahha

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Lelyana's Reviews wrote: "I think Alex and Cam in the next book would be awesome hahahahha"

Yes! I liked the shy glances and smiles they kept sending each other's way.

Lelyana ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Lelyana's Reviews wrote: "I think Alex and Cam in the next book would be awesome hahahahha"

Yes! I liked the shy glances and smiles they kept sending each other's way."

And it's going to be interesting, considering Alex's background!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Lelyana's Reviews wrote: "~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Lelyana's Reviews wrote: "I think Alex and Cam in the next book would be awesome hahahahha"

Yes! I liked the shy glances and smiles they kept sendin..."

I groaned when he said whom his father was.

Lelyana ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Lelyana's Reviews wrote: "~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Lelyana's Reviews wrote: "I think Alex and Cam in the next book would be awesome hahahahha"

Yes! I liked the shy glances a..."

Me too! LOL. But then saw an interesting story in the future!