Josiah's Reviews > The Boss Baby

The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee

1914201

it was ok

This book represents well everything that I've come to expect from Marla Frazee as an author and illustrator. The artwork is impressive enough on its own merits that I'm certain it must have presented a serious challenge for a piece of the 2011 Caldecott hardware, and the story's comedy is effervescent and always surprising, sure to bring about laughter in readers of any age. I have the feeling that Marla Frazee has become one of those authors whose every published work from now on will be discussed as a viable contender for the Caldecott, and I can't say that she hasn't deserved for her picture books to be viewed with that sort of automatic respect.

When my youngest sister was born she was never all that much trouble, so I can't directly relate to the parents in this book, run ragged as they are by the new baby who demands nearly every moment of their free time to be used in taking care of him. I do know that some babies can be quite a handful, though. The "Boss Baby" in this book is pictured as sort of a miniature Mafia don, giving orders to his parents in less-than-English baby talk and expecting to be made the center of all their activity. If the Mafia connotations might be considered too strong for some curious young readers, the option is subtly given to view the "Boss Baby" as simply a domineering business boss instead, and some of the humorous comparisons shade more toward that line of thinking. Either way, the baby has set up total control in his house and taken over as the de facto man in charge; that is, until his parents are just too tired to heed his relentless commands any longer. At that point, a new tack is in order for the baby to regain the attention of his caregivers, one that could never fail to work.

The Boss Baby is a fresh and very funny story, and I have no doubt that beginning readers are really going to have a great time with it, as did I. I'm glad I went to the effort to track down a copy and experience the book for myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boss Baby.

Started Reading
November 27, 2011 – Shelved
November 27, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Adriana (new)

Adriana what was wrong with it?

Josiah Nothing was wrong with it. It's a nice book with exceptional illustration work, and contains some very effective humor. Overall, though, as with most books that I rate at two stars, the impression that I ultimately received from The Boss Baby was that of an average book. However, I did enjoy reading it.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Oh. Okay.