Susan (The Book Bag)'s Reviews > The Magi

The Magi by Kevin M. Turner

Nov 27, 2011

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011

This book is a very well written, fast paced book about a young boy who loses his family and then discovers a whole new world that he was supposed to be a part of. He eventually ends up in the world of the Magi and starts to learn about the powers that are available for him to master. Things seem to come rather easily for him, which makes me wonder if maybe he is a special Magi that is going to do great things once he completes his training.

Great line from The Magi ~~ "But that's just what you were told you were supposed to learn. I want you to tell me what you expect to learn. I don't think there's much you can expect to learn if you don't expect to learn anything, is there?"

The Magi learn to control the 4 elements; earth, water, wind and fire. And the Magi use their power for good against the Maliphist, who are basically evil.

Another great line from The Magi ~~ "There is a hope that one day, we will live in a world where everyone looks for the good first, while keeping their power in check."

(Take the Element Quiz to find out which element you would most likely study if you were a Magi. I found this quiz on the Magi blog and took it. It's kind of fun - I found out I would 'most likely study water'.)

Okay, so getting back to the book, this story swept me in with the action starting right from the beginning. I was enthralled all the way through to the end and I can't wait for the next in the series - yes, this is book 1 of The Magi Series. The author is working on book 2, The Sphere. Hope it is published soon!

Several times while reading The Magi, I was reminded of the Harry Potter tales and since that story is completed, it is kind of nice to know that there is another series that can take us to a world where good fights evil. So if you loved HP, you are going to want to check out this series.

And don't ya just love the cover? I know I do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magi.