Danna's Reviews > No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith

No Man Knows My History by Fawn M. Brodie

Jun 26, 2007

bookshelves: tellingtruthtopower
Recommended for: adventure seekers & history buffs

You want the real skinny? Faun Brodie dishes it out in engaging and painstakingly documented research (if you don't know who she is, she's the historian who at one time was dismissed as a pop historian, that is until DNA proved the gal knew exactly what she was talking about: she declared Jefferson had children with his slave, with evidence from his letters that showed a direct correlation between his new and constant use of "mulatto" when describing his land to the estimated time he took up with Sally Hemming, his paramour and slave. Interesting note: When discussing slavery, Jefferson also stated in his letters that "if there is a just God, we are damned." Brodie also bats the powers that be about the ears with her book about the Mountain Meadows Massacre). In addition to being a great romp into a charasmatic historical figure, I like "No Man" for personal reasons - it isn't very often that one's relatives are interesting enough to make it into the history books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Man Knows My History.

07/15 marked as: read