Jamie's Reviews > City of Glass

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

4199122
Nov 27, 2011

bookshelves: angels, dark-and-gritty, books-i-obsess-over, books-that-break-my-heart, demons, fae, kick-ass-heroines, favorites, magic, multi-pov, series-i-can-t-wait-to-continue, shifters, vampires, ya, unbelievably-sexy-heros
Recommended to Jamie by: MISS VAIN
Read from January 16 to 20, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Um, woah! I haven't finished CoG yet, but I have already read this scene in the book from Clarey's perspective. I know it's not right to swoon over a supposed incestuous scene (which I'm still convinced it's not incestuous - too many hints about that damned Sebastian) but can Jace be any hotter? Really?

Cassandra Clare is a great talent to make me swoon over a 17-year-old.

Merged review:

Sigh.......

Merged review:

This was an epic third book in the Mortal Instruments series. There is a lot of action, a good amount of snarkiness, and a heaping amount of angst and heartache.

City of Glass begins with the gang - Clary, Jace, Isabelle, and Alec - preparing to leave for Alicante so Clary can find the antidote to the spell that is keeping Jocelyn in a suspended state. Jace decides that it is too dangerous to allow Clary to enter Idris, and makes plans to leave without her, "for her own good." Jace is still having a very difficult time dealing with the events of City of Ashes and with his feelings for Clary. A demon attack ensues, and Simon is pulled into Alicante, and Clary is left behind.

Clary, stubborn as always, finds a way to Idris all on her own, and Jace is none too pleased when she shows up. There are a lot of hearbreaking things Jace says to Clary in this book. Although I know he's doing his best to protect her, he comes across as being a jackass from time to time. At some point, Jace needs to realize that he cannot think for Clary - he can't just tell her to do things because he thinks its the right thing to do.

"The truth is that I don't want you here because you're rash and thoughtless and you'll mess everything up. It's just how you are."

"I had every right, you stupid, stupid girl!"

Magnus Bane, the gorgeous and falmboyant high warlock of NY, ends up in Alicante, as well. Magnus plays a small, but very important role, plot-wise, and is used very well to inject humor into this dark story.

"Nice, bah. He's gorgeous." Magnus gazed dreamily in his direction. "You should leave him here. I could hang hats on him and things."

Newcomer Sebastien is a cousin of the Penhallows - one of the richest Shadowhunter families, and a family that is good friends with the Lightwoods. He's tall, dark, handsome, charming and interested in Clary. Sebastien actually leads Clary to the home of the warlock that is able to help Jocelyn, but then starts acting a bit weird.

After Jace calms down over the initial shock of seeing Clary in Alicante, he continues to fight himself over his feelings for Clary. This is all very heartbreaking and difficult to read about thinking they are siblings (although I never bought it).

"I had to try. And I did." His voice was lifeless. "But God knows, I don't want anyone but you. I don't even want to want anyone but you."

I know it's angsty and dramatic, but I found myself feeling very sad for Jace. He is truly a tortured character. His past is wrought with myriad difficulties. He doesn't know who he is, he's ashamed of his feelings, he was abandoned, and it seems like all the adults in his life - the ones who were suposed to love and protect him as a child - have failed him in every sense of the word. This is a character who wants, more than anything, peace.

While searching for the antidote to the spell holding Jocelyn, Jace and Clary discover some very despicable information about their pasts from searching the Wayland manor. While returning to Alicante from the manor, Jace and Clary see that Alicante is under attack from demons led by Valentine. At this point, Sabastien makes some very serious mistakes and leaves the group of Shadowhunters. Valentine is making some very grave threats to the Shadowhunters, and is about to use the mortal instruments to control all the demons in existence, therefore effectively destorying all shadowhunters that don't cowtow to him.

This is the turning point in this book where Jace figures out that the only way to save Alicante is to go on a suicide mission. The night before Jace set out on his own is the most angsty and heart-breaking part of this book.

"There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you even then." (Must insert here that this is a very similar quote that can be found in a certain Sirantha Jax book).

"This is the last night we go to sleep and get up just as we always have. And all I could think of was that I wanted to spend it with you."

Clary is left in the morning with no idea where Jace is, and this is where Clary, in my opinion, really grows up. Clary creates a rune to help the shadowhunters and other downworlders fight Valentine and his demons. She draws a rune on Simon that effectively protects him from all danger. Then, to add to the gravity of the situation, Jocelyn appears and informs Clary of her past. This is where the reader and Clary learn that Jace is not her brother. Sebastien is. As THRILLED as I was, it was kind of anticlimatic. I knew from the beginning that there was no freaking way that Clary and Jace could be siblings, and I suspected early on that Sebastian had to be her real brother - I just couldn't figure out how it was all tied together.

One thing I liked in this book was the idea of family (not just blood family, but the family you chose). This is a very strong theme throughout this book. And I liked very much how we see Jace and Clary's "families" sticking up for them. We see this when Isabelle tells Clary that she hopes the Lightwoods never see Clarey again because of the pain she is causing Jace, and we see it when Simon tells Isabelle to back off of Clary. I love the love between all these characters. Simon really shines in this book. I never had a problem with Simon - I've always found his nerdiness endearing. But he really grows in this book.

So, with an assist from another Shadowhunter, Jace disposes of Sebastien. He finds himself in a battle with Valentine, and is unceremoniously killed by his own father. By this time, Clary has found Jace and Valentine, and quickly figures a way to defeat Valentine. I think at this point, Clary does not care whether she lives or dies - she just wants to defeat Valentine for the sake of her friends and family.

As much as I would have liked a knock-down, drag-out between Jace and Valentine, I liked that it was Clary who eventually took him down. No one came to her rescue - she did it all on her own. And not only that, but she didn't defeat Valentine with brute force - she used her head. After Valentine was out of the picture, the angel Raziel gave Clary one wish - guess what she wished for?

After Velantine was defeated, there was a big party in Alicante to celebrate the end of Valentine and the new alliance between shadowhunters and downworlders. Jace and Clary finally find each other, and the cheesy,lovey-dovey part begins.

"Since I've met you, everything I've done has been in part because of you. I can't untie myself from you, Clary - not my heart, or my blood or my mind or any other part of me. And I don't want to."

"I never dared give much of myself to anyone before - bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it - but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me."

As much as I loved the fan girl quotes from Jace, one thing that bothered me was the lack of words from Clary. It's obvious that she loves Jace more than anything, but at the same time, Jace is pouring his heart out to Clary, and she doesn't do a good job reciprocating with words. I know she loves Jace - gosh, we all do - but it would have been nice to hear it from her a bit more

I am looking forward to the rest of this series. If the series ended with this book, I would have been happy. So now, where do we go from here? Is Sebastien really dead? Is Valentine really gone? What will Cassandra Clare come up with to keep Jace and Clary apart now? I don't know, but I'll be reading :)

This is, by far, my favorite YA series. I can't wait to see what happenes the shadowhunters next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.

Quotes Jamie Liked

Cassandra Clare
“There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.”

Cassandra Clare
“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Since I've met you, everything I've done has been in part because of you. I can't untie myself from you, Clary- not my heart or my blood or my mind or any other part of me. And I don't want to."
~Jace Wayland”

“Clary,

Despite everything, I can't bear the thought of this ring being lost forever, any more then I can bear the thought of leaving you forever. And though I have no choice about the one, at least I can choose about the other. I'm leaving you our family ring because you have as much right to it as I do.
I'm writing this watching the sun come up. You're asleep, dreams moving behind your restless eyelids. I wish I knew what you were thinking. I wish I could slip into your head and see the world the way you do. I wish I could see myself the way you do. But maybe I dont want to see that. Maybe it would make me feel even more than I already do that I'm perpetuating some kind of Great Lie on you, and I couldn't stand that.
I belong to you. You could do anything you wanted with me and I would let you. You could ask anything of me and I'd break myself trying to make you happy. My heart tells me this is the best and greatest feeling I have ever had. But my mind knows the difference between wanting what you can't have and wanting what you shouldn't want. And I shouldn't want you.
All night I've watched you sleeping, watched the moonlight come and go, casting its shadows across your face in black and white. I've never seen anything more beautiful. I think of the life we could have had if things were different, a life where this night is not a singular event, separate from everything else that's real, but every night. But things aren't different, and I can't look at you without feeling like I've tricked you into loving me.
The truth no one is willing to say out loud is that no one has a shot against Valentine but me. I can get close to him like no one else can. I can pretend I want to join him and he'll believe me, up until that last moment where I end it all, one way or another. I have something of Sebastian's; I can track him to where my father's hiding, and that's what I'm going to do. So I lied to you last night. I said I just wanted one night with you. But I want every night with you. And that's why I have to slip out of your window now, like a coward. Because if I had to tell you this to your face, I couldn't make myself go.
I don't blame you if you hate me, I wish you would. As long as I can still dream, I will dream of you.

_Jace”

01/17 page 121
22.0% ""I had every right, you stupid, stupid girl." I feel like I've just been punched in the gut. This is horrific to read:(" 19 comments
01/17 page 189
35.0% "Clarey, sweetie...I need you to be angrier. I enjoyed the plate throwing, but girlfriend, a nice punch to the jaw would have been better. And the silent treatment. For weeks." 6 comments
01/18 page 335
62.0% "Sigh....Bedroom scene....sigh...." 9 comments
01/18 page 403
74.0% "Ha!!!" 10 comments
01/20 page 499
92.0% ""Yes," he said. "I know that."."
04/02 marked as: read

Mariana don't give up. I love this book<3

Jamie Don't worry - I'm hooked on this series. My ranting must be under an update, lol! Miss Vain, Christen and Samina have been a great support while reading this series!

Mariana Jace<3

Jamie Mariana wrote: "Jace<3"

Mee, too! I ♥ Jace!

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) How is this one so far? I like this series but I'm not in love with it.

Jamie I don't read a lot of YA, but this series has really sucked me in. The first book was a bit slower than books 2 and 3, and the tension is killing me! I'm very much enjoying CoG :)

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) You don't read a lot of YA, GASP! That is a crime because there are some amazing YA series out there.

Jamie I know, I know :) You sound like Miss Vain! I'm reading more YA, little by little.

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) I'll admit YA has some downsides every once in a while, like the fact that there are too many YA paranormal stories. Overall, I really like YA though I do need to take a break from it and read more adult romance and try to get into UF.

Do you run a blog?

MISS VAIN I love it when my ear starts to burn....I knew my name was being mentioned somewhere!;) LOL

Hey so, Jamie I left this super long somment on my status about all our tv shows fom the past, and GR had a "problem saving my comment" earlier, so I gave up. Damn GR!!!!!!! Grrrrr LOL

Yes, YA is fabulous if you mix it with Adult stuff totally agree Alexa.;) I've barely gotten Jamie into reading YA, and it wasn't without nagging, that's for sure!!;)

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) MISS VAIN wrote: "I love it when my ear starts to burn....I knew my name was being mentioned somewhere!;) LOL

Lol I've only been leaving her comments for the past few hours and I'm already trying to get her into YA. There are some amazing YA books out there, it would be sad to miss some of them. Then again I guess the same could be said for me missing so many adult books.

MISS VAIN LOL. Alexa you're funny!!;) I mix it up and I read probably an equal amount of YA as I read Adult.

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) MISS VAIN wrote: "LOL. Alexa you're funny!!;) I mix it up and I read probably an equal amount of YA as I read Adult."

Lol you should be my new guide into adult books because I've been wrapped up in reviewing teen books for far too long. I miss reading stuff where the main character isn't 16 going through enough drama to make your head spin.

MISS VAIN Browse my read books because I have LOTS of favorites!!;)

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) MISS VAIN wrote: "Browse my read books because I have LOTS of favorites!!;)

You already know the two you commented on my blog about. Tell me what you're in the mood for and I'll point you in that direction!!;))))"

Well I do want to try to read UF although I'm not really sure where to start with that. I will browse your read books tomorrow when I'm at work for 10 hours.

MISS VAIN 10 hours that is plenty of time. Good luck!;)

Well we've already discussed;
Dead on the Delta by Stacey Jay,
The Succubus Diaries by Jill Myles,
Downside Ghosts by Stacia Kane.

Be sure to check out some of my other favorites:
Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett
Dead, Undead, and Somewhere in Between by J.A. Saare

Jamie Alexa - no I don't run a blog. I do not have the time or the patience for it.

I pretty much only read UF/PNR/paranormal YA (maybe dystopian if you count The Hunger Games).

@MIss Vain - I'll add The Shadow Reader to this list. Tell me you've read the Fever series, Alexa...

Jamie Oohhh - just read a nice Alec-Magnus scene. That warlock needs a larger role in this series.

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) Miss Vain- I haven't heard of your other favs so I shall have to check those out today as well :)

Jamie- Lol running a blog is a lot of hassle but I like it at the end of the day. I haven't read the Fever series, I own the first book on my Nook, just have to find the time to read it.

Thank you both for chatting me with!

Samina ~ Escapism~ Love me some Magnus.I love him.

MISS VAIN OMG!! I assumed you had read Fever, yes please do read it.;) It's amazing!! The Shadow Reader is good as well!;)

Alexa its been fun chatting books.:)

Jamie, I love me some Magnus!!!;) He plays a bigger role in CoFA (book #4) as well as Clockwork Angel (TID) and he's in Clockwork Prince (TID) a lot!!! You'll get to know more of him....but I always more of Magnus. Oh btw you'll get lots of Alec-Magnus in CoFA ;))))

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) MISS VAIN wrote: "OMG!! I assumed you had read Fever, yes please do read it.;) It's amazing!! The Shadow Reader is good as well!;)

Alexa its been fun chatting books.:)

Jamie, I love me some Magnus!!!;) He plays a ..."

Lol I know, Everyone always yells at me to read the Fever series, I've even had other authors encourage me to read it. I think I have a copy of The Shadow Reader that a blogging friend gave to me after she loved it.

MISS VAIN Great! Let us know what you think after you read any of these books.:)

Jamie Alexa (Pages of Forbidden Love) wrote: "Miss Vain- I haven't heard of your other favs so I shall have to check those out today as well :)

No problems. Chatting is something I (and Miss vain ;-) do well!

The tension has to stop in TMI. I need some happy time. Soon. But I do adore Magnus. Magnus and I could get together and share our love of glitter, lol!

And I do plan on reading ID soon. After TMI, though, I want to finish Shifters, read a Saare/Hunter book (probably Make me shiver) and then jump into ID before Rachel Morgan is released at the end of Feb.

MISS VAIN Yes we do it sooooo very well!!;)

I'm curious to see which series you prefer. I think I have Jamie Saare on a brief time out. :/

I plan to be caught up in Rachel Morgan as well by release, that reminds me I'm a couple books behind in LOTU, and the latest book is released the same day!;)

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "Yes we do it sooooo very well!!;)

I plan to be caught up in Rachel Morgan as well by release, that..."

Jaime Saare is on a time out...I just laughed my head off!

MISS VAIN LOL I didn't get the notification of your comment above. :) Glad I gave you a good laugh.;) hehe.

P.s. loved your review! Both Cassandra Clare's series are my favorite YA as well.:)

Jamie Cassandra Clare is going to drive me insane before this series is complete, I guarantee it. Look for more rants to come, lol!